Home » Other » General » Should I consolidate my databases? Opinions needed! (10g)
icon5.gif  Should I consolidate my databases? Opinions needed! [message #315356] Mon, 21 April 2008 05:03 Go to next message
basegreen328
I am independant software vendor who is looking to move my product to run on an Oracle platform. Currently, I run on an MSSQL platform.

Firstly a quick overview of the product. It is a document management and workflow system that utilises (in MSSQL) two databases, one to control the lifecycle of the documents we store and their location (we dont store the documents in the database) and the other to control a) the active workflow lifecycle and b) contain the actual document related data.
The primary reason that I have two databases at the moment is really down to how the company / product has evolved. The workflow was introduced later and it was felt that to minimise risk (we had a good solid working product) to leave it alone...we are a small company (< 40 people) and resources are limited.

To migrate to an Oracle environment, I note that architecture is different with regards the concept of instance / database over what Microsofts is. To this end, I am wondering whether I should be looking to carry over the architecture above or to consolidate my applications in to a single instance / database.

What is everyones take on this. What are the advantages / disadvantages?

I'm really looking to get as much information as possible so any thoughts / opinions you may have will be greatly received.

Also - any questions, feel free to ask.

I Look forward to you responses...
Re: Should I consolidate my databases? Opinions needed! [message #315537 is a reply to message #315356] Mon, 21 April 2008 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
One database, possibly two owners. If you intend marketing the two products as a single entity I would use a single owner.

David
Re: Should I consolidate my databases? Opinions needed! [message #315627 is a reply to message #315356] Tue, 22 April 2008 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
michael_bialik
Are these 2 databases need to get the data each from the other?
If yes - consolidate it.
What are the chances to restore the db? How long it takes?
If the chances for crash are high and restore time is significant - leave it as 2 databases otherwise - consolidate.

HTH.

P.S. Just my 2 bits.

Michael
Re: Should I consolidate my databases? Opinions needed! [message #317824 is a reply to message #315356] Sat, 03 May 2008 22:43 Go to previous message
TheSingerman
One Instance/ One Owner(schema). For one thing, this is what your Oracle customers will expect and want.

I'm a little more concerned with the differences between Oracle's concurrency model and Microsoft's. I'm guessing that it is normal to have two users working on the same document at the same time. The same Microsoft code which keeps one user from stomping on the work of another may not work with Oracle. And, if you play any games to prevent lock escalation -- the good news is that there is no such thing in Oracle. The bad news is that those games may be counter productive.
Previous Topic: Different data-structures in Oracle Database
Next Topic: SLA
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:52:33 CDT 2024