Home » Infrastructure » Unix » Relationship Oracle with Unix? (Oracle 8i, Unix AIX)
Relationship Oracle with Unix? [message #316694] Sun, 27 April 2008 20:00 Go to next message
ap_karthi
Hi All,

I'm newbie to UNIX environment, just a silly doubt.

I'm working in Oracle PL/SQL as developer in windows environment. We have installed Oracle 10g Standard edition in Windows 2000 server. I'm using SQL editor or Toad for development, etc. from the client side. It doesn't have any relationship with Windows.

My doubt is ...
If Same oracle is installed in Unix environment, how it has relationship with Oracle ? I dont understand the link between unix and oracle, why I'm asking this is...in many places I saw Oracle with Unix openings.

Note: I gone thro' abt unix little bit, it controls the environment like file permission, searching, etc.

I hope all understood my doubt, looking forward for reply.
Thank you.

-Karthik
Re: Relationship Oracle with Unix? [message #316695 is a reply to message #316694] Sun, 27 April 2008 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
> I dont understand the link between unix and oracle
There is no relationship between unix and oracle.
Oracle is an application which runs on many different Operating Systems.
Re: Relationship Oracle with Unix? [message #316733 is a reply to message #316695] Mon, 28 April 2008 02:12 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Now imagine this: you have your PC which runs under MS Windows XP. You have installed TOAD and want to connect to the database. DBA gave you TNSNAMES.ORA database alias and you provided credentials to connect to it.

For example, it is 'scott/tiger@ora10'.

Do you know where 'ora10' database is? Is it a UNIX machine? MS Windows? OpenVMS? Linux? No, you don't know it. Do you care? No, and you shouldn't. Your employer created a working environment for you. Your job is to develop an application. The same code will work on Oracle 10g database under any operating system (unless you use, just as an example, HOST Forms built-in and call operating system specific commands, but that's another story).
Previous Topic: unable to pass flexfield values from report wrapper to oracle applications seeded report
Next Topic: return code
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:02:11 CDT 2024