Home » Other » Community Hangout » A new game  () 1 Vote
A new game [message #318532] Wed, 07 May 2008 02:12 Go to next message
pablolee
To keep me amused, when on these forums and others, I often try to guess what the first reply to a post is likely to be based purely on the title of the thread. Some examples:

Title: UTL_FILE
Likely first Post: "You must put the Directory object name in UPPER Case

Title: Tunning [sic] Help Needed
Likely first Post: "Not enough info"
"Supply TK Prof"
"Read the P & T Guide"

Title: Index Help
Likely first Post: "You don't have a WHERE clause, why do you think an index would help"

Title: Rebuild Index
Likely first Post: "Do NOT rebuild your indexes every 2 hours/ 1 Day/ 3rd week (Delete as appropriate)"

Title: Error in Code
Likely first Post: "How about you post the error that you are getting?"

Title: SQL
Likely first Post: "This is an Oracle forum NOT a SQL Server forum"

Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 07 May 2008 02:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: A new game [message #318538 is a reply to message #318532] Wed, 07 May 2008 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Title: Please help
1st Response: What did you try so far
Some response later on: If you don't want to help, then shut up!
Re: A new game [message #318540 is a reply to message #318538] Wed, 07 May 2008 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
Quote:

/forum/fa/449/0/
And my morning coffee gets sprayed over my monitor Laughing So true
Re: A new game [message #318573 is a reply to message #318538] Wed, 07 May 2008 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Frank wrote on Wed, 07 May 2008 17:25
Title: Please help
1st Response: What did you try so far

Dont you mean: HELP PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Re: A new game [message #318579 is a reply to message #318573] Wed, 07 May 2008 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Title: Need urgent help please

1st response: Please don't crosspost.
Re: A new game [message #318600 is a reply to message #318579] Wed, 07 May 2008 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

/forum/fa/449/0/

Re: A new game [message #318666 is a reply to message #318532] Wed, 07 May 2008 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
title: any
subject: any
forum: any

1st responder: Michel
1st reponse: Please read OraFAQ Forum Guide, especially "How to format your post?" section.
Make sure that lines of code do not exceed 80 characters when you format.
Indent the code (See SQL Formatter) and align the columns in result.
Use the "Preview Message" button to verify.

Hahahaha, just kidding. Wink
Re: A new game [message #318688 is a reply to message #318666] Wed, 07 May 2008 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Hey! You forgot
"Also always post your Oracle version (4 decimals)."
Wink

Regards
Michel
Re: A new game [message #318702 is a reply to message #318688] Wed, 07 May 2008 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Michel Cadot wrote on Wed, 07 May 2008 08:15
Hey! You forgot
"Also always post your Oracle version (4 decimals)."
;)

Regards
Michel

How could we possibly forget? I think I see that one in my dreams. Another one typically in the Forms forum, although not typically after the first post:

Have you solved your problem?

For some strange reason I always picture this in the same sort of ominous voice in the horror flick that kept repeating the question:

Have you checked the children?
Re: A new game [message #318758 is a reply to message #318702] Wed, 07 May 2008 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I post that message "Have you solved your problem?" when I have not visited the forum for a week of so and there is a question that has not been answered.

In the past I had spent quite some time in preparing an answer, posted it, and got the response "Oh, I solved that a week ago". If the OP has not 'thumped' their thread then, more often than not, either they have given up, got an answer via another forum, or answered it themselves.

I DO realise that the number of "Have you solved your problem?" entries could almost be countered as 'spam' but I try to get an answer for ALL Forms entries and this is the way that I do it.

David
Re: A new game [message #318788 is a reply to message #318758] Thu, 08 May 2008 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Dave Stewart & Candy Dulfer: Lily was here

The moment I open Forms forum and see an endless vertical line of red thread icons, I know: David was here. I believe his origins must be in Texas, US, as David is the Lone Star of the Forms forum. The rest of us, more or less, plays a passer by role in this movie.
Re: A new game [message #318801 is a reply to message #318788] Thu, 08 May 2008 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
When I first started browsing this site I saw that some people were making sure that all or nearly all the questions in a particular forum were being answered. Unfortunately, Forms was not one of them. I could have answered the questions in the SQL, PL/SQL, and SQL*Plus forums but considering that I have spent the last 15 years working with Forms 3.4, 4.0, 4.5, 2.3, 6.0, 6i, then damn-near went insane doing the first significant non-military conversion to 9i in Australia, then 10g and now back to 4.5, I felt that making sure there is an answer to EVERY question in just this one forum would be worthwhile and not too onerous. Having Littlefoot, working in a timezone opposite to mine, means that I don't HAVE to answer every question in the Forms forum. Others have done exceptional jobs in their fields, especially the core DBAs in the server and utilities forums. Now, of course, we have Michel who, having absolutely no life and never sleeping, seems to have covered much of the rest of the forums.

It would be nice if we ever found a Reports and an eBusiness person to cover those forums.

All we can do is the best that we can do.

David

[Updated on: Thu, 08 May 2008 00:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: A new game [message #319043 is a reply to message #318758] Thu, 08 May 2008 15:52 Go to previous message
Barbara Boehmer
djmartin wrote on Wed, 07 May 2008 18:18
I post that message "Have you solved your problem?" when I have not visited the forum for a week of so and there is a question that has not been answered.

In the past I had spent quite some time in preparing an answer, posted it, and got the response "Oh, I solved that a week ago". If the OP has not 'thumped' their thread then, more often than not, either they have given up, got an answer via another forum, or answered it themselves.

I DO realise that the number of "Have you solved your problem?" entries could almost be countered as 'spam' but I try to get an answer for ALL Forms entries and this is the way that I do it.

David

I completely understand why you do this and agree. For some reason it just hit my funny bone and reminded me of the movie.
Previous Topic: Funny typographical errors
Next Topic: apples and oranges and so on and what happened to barbara (merged 2 threads)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:09:22 CDT 2024