Home » Other » General » Crystal Reports 11 error (CR 11/Windows XP SP2, Oracle 8i/Unix)
Crystal Reports 11 error [message #322268] Thu, 22 May 2008 23:40 Go to next message
kowalsky
hi all,
i am trying to build a crystal reports report and i get this error:
Failed to retrieve data from the database. Details:blah, blah something about the ODBC... [Vendor Code 904]ORA-00904 invalid column name.

So, where exactly should I look into since the ultimate reason for the report to fail seems to be some incompatibility between Oracle 8i and the client application. It is probably more of a CR problem since all queries in SQLPlus on the same table are ok.
If someone has encountered this before, please let me know,
thanks,
kowalsky
Re: Crystal Reports 11 error [message #322346 is a reply to message #322268] Fri, 23 May 2008 03:25 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
"Invalid column name" error is quite obvious. However, here's what Oracle says about it:
Oracle
ORA-00904 invalid column name

Cause: The column name entered is either missing or invalid.

Action: Enter a valid column name. A valid column name must begin with a letter, be less than or equal to 30 characters, and consist of only alphanumeric characters and the special characters $, _, and #. If it contains other characters, it must be enclosed in double quotation marks. It may not be a reserved word.

As you've said that all queries work correctly when run in SQL*Plus, hm, that's funny. I don't know Crystal Reports, but - I guess they allow "user-defined columns" as well. These might be "formula columns", "summary columns" and similar.

Could you check whether there are such columns in your report. If it is a formula column, there might be SELECT statement in there which *might* use invalid column name.
Previous Topic: 10g
Next Topic: History of the "Dual" Table
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 14:02:35 CDT 2024