Home » Other » General » Oracle licensing
Oracle licensing [message #326252] Tue, 10 June 2008 19:32 Go to next message
mirion
Hello everybody,

I have to prepare a study on different licensing mechanism. Looked on the internet but couldn't find too much relevant information - lot of theory and less facts, strategies advantages/disadvantages, effective license check and enforcement, etc.

I found that during the last years Oracle changed several times their licensing model.

I've been told that the "concurrent user" license for the database and also for Oracle Applications was used till 2002. Afterwards they dropped it for a "named user" or cpu model.

Could anybody confirm me if this is true? If not, could you provide me some reliable historical data or references?

Is the actual model ("named user" or "cpu") used by the most database or erp suppliers? I could find informations only related to microsoft (e.g. for erp uses concurrent users) , but nothing to sap, ibm, etc.

Thanks

Re: Oracle licensing [message #326254 is a reply to message #326252] Tue, 10 June 2008 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
Here's some licensing information related to Oracle (Global Pricing and Licensing).
Re: Oracle licensing [message #326364 is a reply to message #326254] Wed, 11 June 2008 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirion
Thanks a lot Brian,

Found that document long ago. Unfortunately it contain the actual licensing strategy. What I need, is an overview of it's evolution in time, that allows me to compare it with other strategies and check if there is any synergy into this evolution.

Thanks
Re: Oracle licensing [message #326368 is a reply to message #326364] Wed, 11 June 2008 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Oracle strategy on pricing in the past does not say anything on strategy in the future.
I don't see the interest and discernment of this information.

Regards
Michel
Re: Oracle licensing [message #326373 is a reply to message #326364] Wed, 11 June 2008 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirion
As I said into the first message, I have to make a study, an academic paper that describes this evolution till now. I don't want to predict the future, but to understand the different models and strategies.

And this doesn't concern only Oracle, but other big players into the field.

Thanks for any help.
Re: Oracle licensing [message #326380 is a reply to message #326373] Wed, 11 June 2008 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I don't really the purpose and interest of such a study.
I'm pretty sure that Oracle strategy is fashionable, random and from day to day one.

Regards
Michel
Re: Oracle licensing [message #326387 is a reply to message #326380] Wed, 11 June 2008 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirion
Michel Cadot wrote on Wed, 11 June 2008 05:07
I don't really the purpose and interest of such a study.

Smile Ask my prof...

Jut kidding... There is a meaning, because Oracle is not a random driven company. If they change their policy, it is not because somebody had a good or bad night, but because there is a business decision. What I want to understand is the mechanics of such decision and the implications for the customers. Understanding mechanics starts with understanding the history.

Michel Cadot wrote on Wed, 11 June 2008 05:07
I'm pretty sure that Oracle strategy is fashionable, random and from day to day one.

Regards
Michel

When you are speaking about "fashionable" does this means that all the major players are following about the same policy, like a sort of guild?

thanks
Re: Oracle licensing [message #326389 is a reply to message #326387] Wed, 11 June 2008 05:40 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
If they change their policy, it is not because somebody had a good or bad night,

After working for almost 20 years on Oracle, I wonder... Smile
Almost sure that what he read in his newspaper at breakfast is one important point of decision.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Wed, 11 June 2008 05:40]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: How to convert
Next Topic: what is a user_id in sys.dba_users ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:40:35 CDT 2024