Home » Infrastructure » Windows » WPG_DOCLOAD, IE7 and Outlook (merged)
WPG_DOCLOAD, IE7 and Outlook (merged) [message #329255] Tue, 24 June 2008 13:42 Go to next message
jpillera
I have an Oracle 10g application, built using Oracle PL/SQL Toolkits and PSPs, using an Oracle database with an HTML front-end (hosted by an Apache web server). When using the WPG_DOCLOAD package to add attachments to the database, the MIME type for ".msg" files end up being application/octet-stream rather than application/vnd.ms-outlook.

That doesn't seem to matter using Internet Explorer (IE) 6. When downloading the file back to your PC, IE6 sees the ".msg" file name and correctly opens Outlook.

But when using IE7 the browser doesn't know what application to open that same file with so users are forced to first save it to their local drive - and to also manually add a ".msg" file extension - because when it comes back from the database, the file type is unknown to IE7.

Once it's saved as a ".msg" file (even under IE 7) Outlook will open it just fine.

How do we make IE7 open these ".msg" files? Note that opening Excel and Word files (once downloaded from the database using IE7) works flawlessly. But these Outlook files are another matter.

Thank you!
Joe
Re: WPG_DOCLOAD, IE7 and Outlook [message #329512 is a reply to message #329255] Wed, 25 June 2008 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
As far as I can tell, your problem has nothing to do with Oracle. In other words, Oracle is NOT responsible for the fact that Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 doesn't know how to interpret .msg files. Perhaps you should search for help on one of Microsoft software oriented forums.

Therefore, your topic will be locked. If you, however, feel that it is related to Oracle, please, PM me (or report this message to moderator) and - if you can explain what Oracle has to do with it - we'll unlock it again so that you could continue discussion.
WPG_DOCLOAD Package [message #329544 is a reply to message #329255] Wed, 25 June 2008 14:13 Go to previous message
jpillera
RE: wpg_docload / Oracle 10g / Windows XP / IE7

We have an Oracle 10g application, built using Oracle PL/SQL Toolkits and PSPs, using an Oracle database with an HTML front-end (hosted by an Apache web server). We use the WPG_DOCLOAD package to upload and download attachments to/from the database (i.e. Excel and Word files, etc).

When the users download the documents back to their PC, internally we call the method:

wpg_docload.download_file()

and they are then prompted to open or save the file. If they choose save, the save dialog window appears but the name of the file is pmp_file_download (the name of our oracle stored procedure that calls this wpg_docload package) and is not the actual name of the file itself.

Thus, the default behavior (for Save As) is a complex combination of looking at the MIME type plus the name of the database object that calls this method itself. We'd much rather pass a value like "sample.xls" as the Save As filename instead.

Has anyone figured out a way around this problem? Of course, I've looked at the package's source code - and there's no parameter I can send to WPG_DOCLOAD to make this happen. If there is, perhaps you could tell me?

Thank you!
Joe

Previous Topic: How to check JDK version?
Next Topic: Disk configuration for ASM in windows 2000 server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:36:59 CDT 2024