Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » The ' Char in Oracle
The ' Char in Oracle [message #36169] Thu, 08 November 2001 08:16 Go to next message
Niraj Patel
I am using a HTML form which is linked up to a Oracle DB. In some of the fields they have to write a short description of themselves. The people filling out the form ofen need to put the following character in there description;

'

They use words like; don't ,etc.

Although Oracle doesnt accept this (ORA-00917 missing comma, error given). Anyone got any ideas as to how I can sort this problem out. I need to let users use that char o/w I'd be a pretty bad web designer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: The ' Char in Oracle [message #36171 is a reply to message #36169] Thu, 08 November 2001 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shilpa
One way to solve this problem is on the POST CHANGE trigger just replace the single quote with an apostrophe. When you save this into a database you will be saving an apostrophe not a single quote.

example:
-- TO REPLACE SINGLE QUOTE WITH AN APOSTROPHE
:emp.ename := REPLACE(:emp.ename,'''','`');

Re: The ' Char in Oracle [message #36796 is a reply to message #36169] Fri, 21 December 2001 01:03 Go to previous message
akshay
just preprocess programmatically the query before executing it .. do as this
for any value of any column if u have the value containing ' replace it with 2 single quotes ''
this will work for sure

Previous Topic: How can i pass the number of users who are connected in the database
Next Topic: Error in Trigger
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:29:09 CDT 2024