Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » VERY URGENT
VERY URGENT [message #36369] Wed, 21 November 2001 19:22 Go to next message
Amit
Hi All,
Can anybody help me in how to write a script which fetches Data from Informix server to Oracle server and loads them in oracle tables.I think I have to write a script on oracle server.Pls. Help this is very urgent.
Thanks in advance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: VERY URGENT [message #36377 is a reply to message #36369] Thu, 22 November 2001 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob Baillie
This may not be just a case of getting a script from a bulletin board...

If you're using Oracle 8, then things shouldn't be too bad, but in any case you're looking at an ODBC link.

Create an ODBC link for the Informix Database that's visible from the Oracle server.

Create a database link in the Oracle database that points to the Informix ODBC link.

Then you can use standard INSERT INTO, or whatever to transport data into the Oracle Database.

It sounds easy, although it can be quite a hair-tearing exercise.

Sorry if I'm overcomplicating things, but this is the only method I personally know of. It might also be worthwhile asking Informix people the same question... pushing from there might be easier (that's certainly the case from Microsoft Access ;) )

Useful links:

Oracle 8 Database Links:

http://otn.oracle.com/doc/server.804/a58247/ds_ch1.htm#3303

Oracle 8 Heterogeneous Services:

http://otn.oracle.com/doc/server.804/a58247/ds_ch1.htm#5762

Re: VERY URGENT [message #36417 is a reply to message #36369] Mon, 26 November 2001 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Amit
Thanx Rob,
Can you give me one example as how to export data from informix to flat file and then export it to oracle database system.And this is a daily procedure.Pls. Help.
Thanx anyways.

Re: VERY URGENT [message #36419 is a reply to message #36417] Mon, 26 November 2001 22:06 Go to previous message
Rob Baillie
Sorry, no I can't

I'm not familiar with informix so can't help you with output...

Though to get the data into Oracle from a generic format flat file you can try looking towards:

UTL_FILE supplied package:
http://otn.oracle.com/doc/server.804/a58241/ch8.htm#1939

Or, the SQL Loader manual (which may not be appropriate for a nightly process, though not being a SQL Loader kinda guy, I wouldn't be sure on that).

Sorry I can't help any more than that

Rob

Previous Topic: How do I recall data from an index?
Next Topic: Partitioning in Oracle 7.x
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 00:07:25 CDT 2024