Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Partitioning in Oracle 7.x
Partitioning in Oracle 7.x [message #36393] Sun, 25 November 2001 00:18 Go to next message
Rajarshi Dasgupta
Is it possible to do or to use Partitioning in Oracle 7.x? If yes, then how?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Partitioning in Oracle 7.x [message #36420 is a reply to message #36393] Mon, 26 November 2001 22:24 Go to previous message
Rob Baillie
If my memory serves me right (and bear in mind, it can fail...), Partitioning commands were introduced in Oracle 8, so the short answer to your question is no.

However... if you have the time and patience it is possible to code your own partitioning strategy (a trick that I would imagine hasn't been used in some time).

Essentially partitioning is the splitting of one large table into several smaller tables based on a field (or tuple)... let's ignore hash partitioning. There's nothing particularly clever about the idea... it's just that Oracle 8 hides its implementation incredibly well.

I can't give a script as an example (it's not something I've undertaken), though you would need to do the following things:

* Decide your partitioning strategy
* Create your family of tables based on the table to be partitioned
* Change all code that references the original table to first check the value of the field on which the partitioning is based, and then direct it to the relevent partition table, or collection of partition tables.

Things to try:
Keep the original table intact and then add a select few (or full set) of the partitioned versions.

Inserts / Updates / Deletes could, then be duplicated from original table using triggers. Whenever you find any processing that is suffering from performance problems you can re-code using the partition versions instead, hopefully limiting the amount of (quite complex) recoding.

Or... you could convince your department to move to Oracle 8.

Sorry, the more I'm writing, the less useful this sounds... :(

Rob

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Previous Topic: VERY URGENT
Next Topic: Re: pl/sql send email with attachment
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:54:45 CDT 2024