Home » Open Source » MySQL » MySQL to Oracle books recommendations ? (R&D and IT)
MySQL to Oracle books recommendations ? (R&D and IT) [message #357795] Thu, 06 November 2008 11:25 Go to next message
hq4ever
Hello Everyone,

I'm searching for a good book on "Oracle administration" and "Oracle development for Java / C++".

Our product is a multi layered, distributed platform written in Java and C++. Up until now we've being using MySQL 5 as our DB backend.

We have recently finished development to allow our product to exploit either Oracle or MySQL as the backend.

It turns out Oracle is not that simple to manage, not to mention developer for.

I'm looking for a book or two, my audience are people that have extensive development and administration experience with MySQL and are looking to reflect their knowledge for the new RDBMS. Please know that we have no experience with Oracle.

Please suggest books that discuses:

1. Oracle administration
2. Oracle SQL
3. Oracle PL/SQL
4. Oracle development for Java developers
5 Oracle development for C++ developers.

Please note that I'm looking for a book or 2, I wouldn't like to purchase a full Oracle library for every mentioned subject.

Thank you for reading and helping,
Maxim.
Re: MySQL to Oracle books recommendations ? (R&D and IT) [message #357800 is a reply to message #357795] Thu, 06 November 2008 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
0. Database Concepts
1. Database Administrator's Guide
2. SQL Reference
3. PL/SQL User's Guide and Reference
3b. Application Developer's Guide - Fundamentals
4. Database Java Developer's Guide
5. C++ Call Interface Programmer's Guide and Pro*C/C++ Programmer's Guide

And all other Oracle documentation at
http://www.oracle.com/pls/db102/portal.portal_db?selected=3

Regards
Michel
Re: MySQL to Oracle books recommendations ? (R&D and IT) [message #357804 is a reply to message #357800] Thu, 06 November 2008 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hq4ever
Hello Michel,

Actually what you are says is that no books are required and all relevant documentation is available online. Is that true?

I accept your claim that all information is available, but aren't there books that are considered the "bible" of oracle developers / administrators ?

I hope that I'm clear with my main concern: I'm trying to flatten the learning curve...

Thank you for composing the list of links, I will be using this.
Re: MySQL to Oracle books recommendations ? (R&D and IT) [message #357807 is a reply to message #357804] Thu, 06 November 2008 12:57 Go to previous message
joy_division
You can search for Tom Kyte or Jonathan Lewis' books on amazon.com.

There are countless others, but the would be a good start.
Previous Topic: Data Migration from MySql to Oracle 11g
Next Topic: Oracle Discoverer to MYSQL
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:33:51 CDT 2024