Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » adding table to memory?
adding table to memory? [message #36596] Wed, 05 December 2001 11:57 Go to next message
Toyn
How can I add a table to memory? Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: adding table to memory? [message #36608 is a reply to message #36596] Thu, 06 December 2001 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suresh Vemulapalli
look at cache option of create/alter table

Re: adding table to memory? [message #36615 is a reply to message #36596] Thu, 06 December 2001 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toyn
I've attempted the alter table cache option, which occurs almost instantaneously, but it does not see to make an impact on how the query is run..is that the only way to install a table into memory? thanks.

Re: adding table to memory? [message #36624 is a reply to message #36615] Thu, 06 December 2001 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suresh Vemulapalli
it will not affect performance dramatically. look at other tuning techniques to improve performance like indexes.
using explain plan command ,you can get info about how oracle access tables when you issue query.basically, you have to optimize query to get good performance and in better response time.

Re: adding table to memory? [message #36626 is a reply to message #36624] Thu, 06 December 2001 08:06 Go to previous message
Rob Baillie
And if you're using Oracle 8 or above (or Oracle 7 with the Cost based optimiser), don't forget to anaylze your tables once they've got a reasonably normal usage amount of data in them, or Oracle will use probably the worst access path possible :)

Previous Topic: duplicates in pl/sql table
Next Topic: how do i issue the truncate table tab1 statement within a plsql procedure
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:35:15 CDT 2024