Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Backup / Transport Strategy
Backup / Transport Strategy [message #40679] Wed, 30 October 2002 07:23 Go to next message
Alexander
Hi... Does the exp utility export ALL objects? I need to easily move the contents of a tablespace between various servers. I create all of my objects within a given tablespace: including packages and stored procedures. I will recreate these stored procedures from time to time and do a new export. When I want to refresh a server, I first drop and recreate the tablespace. Then I do an import. But I have noticed that the stored procs/packages are not replaced?

Am I doing something wrong?
Re: Backup / Transport Strategy [message #40682 is a reply to message #40679] Wed, 30 October 2002 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Barry
Which mode of export are you using? Tablespace mode? If so, this mode will move objects (tables, indexes) in that tablespace. Procedural code is only included in User and Full Database modes.
Re: Backup / Transport Strategy [message #40695 is a reply to message #40679] Thu, 31 October 2002 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexander
Thanks - I'll change it to tablespace mode....
Re: Backup / Transport Strategy [message #40707 is a reply to message #40679] Fri, 01 November 2002 06:46 Go to previous message
Alexander
Hi Todd.... I wanted to followup after I had done some more research/reading....

Can you let me know if I am on the right track....

I'm currently using 8.1.7....

I assume that by running the script below, I will not lose any data and that it will be a good backup.

I have 1 tablespace and all of my procedures and data are in that tablespace (student)

alter tablespace student read only;
exp student/student file=Student.dmp log=studentExport.log compress=n direct=y
alter tablespace student read write;

When I run this, I seem to get all of the data and the procedures. However, to make sure, I wrote another program to extract all of the packages/procedures independently. So to be totally safe, I run both scripts to get a solid backup... My tablespace is fairly small: < 10mb.

Are my assumptions correct?

Looking into another strategy:

I wrote another script to export out the tablespace. When I run it, the size is pretty small and I assume that it is only DDL. Is that right?

alter tablespace student read only;
host exp userid="""student/student as sysdba""" transport_tablespace=y tablespaces=(student)
alter tablespace student read write;
exit;
Previous Topic: Rman recovery catalog?
Next Topic: how many types of backup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:50:53 CDT 2024