Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Recover database from dbf files (merged 9) (Oracle 10g R2)
Recover database from dbf files (merged 9) [message #451003] Mon, 12 April 2010 01:38 Go to next message
alamsiddiqui
Hi guys, I was using Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.1.0.2.0 on Windows XP machine. I installed the database and created tablespaces for users on F drive (F:). A few days ago, I lost the entire data on C drive(C:) which had Windows on it. Now, I have to reinstall windows XP (and oracle too) on C drive. But the previous installation of oracle is intact on F drive, which includes all the folders and files(including control files, bin and cdump/udump and other folders) as well as the dbf files of all the users that I created earlier. Now can I get all my users and the database back when I reinstall windows and oracle? What steps do I need to follow? Please guide me or provide me with a link to a post which already contains solution to the problem. Thank You.

[Updated on: Mon, 12 April 2010 02:37] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Recover database from dbf files [message #451007 is a reply to message #451003] Mon, 12 April 2010 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Just use ORADIM to recreate the service associated to your database.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Mon, 12 April 2010 01:42]

Re: Recover database from dbf files [message #451012 is a reply to message #451007] Mon, 12 April 2010 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alamsiddiqui
Thanks Michel.

So, I install windows and install oracle and then use oradim. How do I run oradim, through command prompt? Pardon me but I'm new to all this.
Re: Recover database from dbf files [message #451013 is a reply to message #451003] Mon, 12 April 2010 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yasir Hashmi
Check this link
Re: Recover database from dbf files (merged 6) [message #451014 is a reply to message #451003] Mon, 12 April 2010 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yasir Hashmi
Just click on ORADIM mentioned in MIchel's post and you will know.
Change SID [message #451061 is a reply to message #451003] Mon, 12 April 2010 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alamsiddiqui
Hi everyone,

I'm using Oracle 10g Enterprise Edition Release 2 on Windows XP.
I created a database at the time of oracle installation and chose SID to be 'ORCL'. Now if I want to change this SID keeping the database intact, how can I do it?

Please reply.
Re: Change SID [message #451062 is a reply to message #451061] Mon, 12 April 2010 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yasir Hashmi
Use DBNEWID and recreate the service .
Re: Change SID [message #451067 is a reply to message #451061] Mon, 12 April 2010 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
keeping the database intact

What does this mean exactly?
You don't want to change the database name?
You want to change only the database and instance name?

And why do you start a new topic for the same question (when you already started 8 topics on the same subject)?

Regards
Michel
Re: Recover database from dbf files (merged 9) [message #451077 is a reply to message #451003] Mon, 12 April 2010 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alamsiddiqui
I didn't post it many times. I did it once and and the Chrome said It can't display the page. I went back and did it again. and the same thing happened. I didn't know that those actually got posted. And the new post I thought was a little different from the first one so I posted it in Administration section. Anyways, I apologize for all the mess. Now to the question...The database I want to recover from F: has SID - 'ORCL' and after the new windows and Oracle were installed (By some other 'Vendor') on D: I was told that a new database was created on D: with SID-'ORCL' which is active now. Now, if I want to use ORADIM, how can two instances exist with same name 'ORCL' on the same machine? So I thought I would change the SID for the new database ( I want it to be there on my machine with a different name) and I want the oracle on F: to have the SID 'ORCL' (which it already had). I hope you are getting what I'm trying to say.
Re: Recover database from dbf files (merged 9) [message #451082 is a reply to message #451077] Mon, 12 April 2010 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
First let me say it is a bad idea to get the default Oracle name (ORCL) for many reasons and what you currently experience is one of them.

Now I doubt you can use ORADIM to delete the current instance and recreate a new one. You have to also rename init.ora or spfile accordingly to new instance name.

Regards
Michel
Re: Recover database from dbf files (merged 9) [message #452629 is a reply to message #451082] Fri, 23 April 2010 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alamsiddiqui
Hi everyone,

I know I'm replying after a long time. But I think it's important to let people know of the solution. Here's what I did - I formatted c: and reinstalled windows again. I didn't reinstall oracle. Instead I copied registry settings from other machine which had oracle on it and modified those to match with my oracle installation on F: (which included environment variables and other settings). Then I manually executed all the required services from F: (which were safe all the time) like tns listener, web listener, oracle.exe etc. and then executed sql*plus from my ORACLE_HOME\bin on F:

I got connected to my old database!
I later used the exp utility from bin folder to take backup.

I thank you all for the help.

Alam Siddiqui.
Re: Recover database from dbf files (merged 9) [message #452640 is a reply to message #452629] Fri, 23 April 2010 02:28 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I should prefer you do not post this hack which is all but safe.
I bet you will have problems sooner or later and hope you didn't do it on a production server.

For your next question, please post a link to this one we'll then know in which is your server.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Fri, 23 April 2010 02:29]

Previous Topic: RMAN obsolete backups not obsolete?
Next Topic: cross platfrom coldbackup recovery
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:25:04 CDT 2024