Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN Full Database restore not restoring backed up data (Oracle11g Enterprise Edition v11.1.0.6.0, RHEL5 x86_64)
RMAN Full Database restore not restoring backed up data [message #454186] Tue, 04 May 2010 06:51 Go to next message
r_whitwam
Hi there,

We're moving to oracle11g soon, and I have a test platform whereby I am trying to simulate an RMAN database backup and subsequent full database restore. To do this I've done a stock-standard 'default' oracle installation and created a single tablespace with 1 table in it and 10,000 records. Using NOARVHIELOG mode for reference.
Below are the RMAN lines I typed to do the backup:
1) configure channel 1 device type disk format '/tmp/oracle_backup/%U.bak';
2) backup database;
... and this completes successfully and a "list backup" yields the correct control/system and tablespace files in /u01 and /u02 directories respectively.

Now I bring up the database again, and I've deleted all the records out of my test table (I've also tried dropping the table completely), to simulate a scenario whereby I would want to either recover the whole database or even a tablespace to get me back to what was actually backed up.
Now for the restore via RMAN typing the below within RMAN:
1) STARTUP FORCE MOUNT;
2) RESTORE DATABASE;
3) RECOVER DATABASE;
4) ALTER DATABASE OPEN noresetlogs;

Now when I bring up the database again, and access my table, even though the above was successful I still have zero records or the table was missing still depending on where I just cleared it or dropped it in my test.

I attempted this simulation with trying to simply restore the tablespace itself, as apposed to the whole database, and always ended up with the result as if the restore had never happened, even though it reports that it has completed successfuly.

Being new to oracle, I could be approaching my goal incorrectly. If you can give me any input or suggestions I'd appreciate it.
PLease see attached stdout.txt for a comprehensive stdout of the steps actioned.
Regards,
Robert

• Attachment: stdout.txt
    (Size: 8.21KB, Downloaded 1486 times)

[Updated on: Tue, 04 May 2010 07:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: RMAN Full Database restore not restoring backed up data [message #454233 is a reply to message #454186] Tue, 04 May 2010 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Your recover is doing complete recovery, even in noarchivelog mode, because you haven't log switched since the backup.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 May 2010 09:05]

Re: RMAN Full Database restore not restoring backed up data [message #454408 is a reply to message #454233] Wed, 05 May 2010 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
r_whitwam
Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if I understood you correctly, but I did a "alter system logfile switch" after the backup and before I did the delete of the table. Then did a full restore with no difference in the result, expecting to find my table populated again after the restore.

Am I approaching the full recovery correctly? Have I missed out some kind of step once I do the restore/recovery?

Thanking you,
Robert
Re: RMAN Full Database restore not restoring backed up data [message #454412 is a reply to message #454408] Wed, 05 May 2010 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You have not switch enough for all your current logs were reused and previous data lost. You must switch as many as you have log files (+1 to be sure).

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Wed, 05 May 2010 07:19]

Re: RMAN Full Database restore not restoring backed up data [message #454414 is a reply to message #454412] Wed, 05 May 2010 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
r_whitwam
HI Michel,

Just before starting the restore/recovery, what shuold I do to force the switching of the log files? I think this is the part I am unclear on from your mail. is there syntax I can use to force the switching other than sent previously? I only have the normal 3z redox.log named files from the stock standard installation ,of 51MB each.

Thanking you,
Robert
Re: RMAN Full Database restore not restoring backed up data [message #454420 is a reply to message #454414] Wed, 05 May 2010 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Hello again. I thunk you may be making an error in your understanding of "revcovery". In noarchivelog mode, there is no such concept as recovery from archive logs, but you can (just!) recover if the online logs since the backup have not been re-used. So for practical purposes, you cannot recover. So why are you trying to? You should simply restore, then open resetlogs.
Re: RMAN Full Database restore not restoring backed up data [message #454502 is a reply to message #454420] Thu, 06 May 2010 03:06 Go to previous message
r_whitwam
Hi John/Michel,

Thank you, I managed to come right with this scenario, by doing a "alter system switch logfile;" 4 times, as I had 3 redo-log files, as you suggested in the one post. I did this prior to the "restore database" command in rman.

Thanking you for your assistance. This issue is resolved.

Regards,
Robert
Previous Topic: RMAN netbackup is failing
Next Topic: target and auxiliary have different OS and version of Oracle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:53:26 CDT 2024