Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Archive log and hot backup (10g)
Archive log and hot backup [message #454975] Sun, 09 May 2010 02:22 Go to next message
sekar52
Hi I take hot back up of my database every morning at 10.I have a doubt on what is the need to archive my redo logs why cant i apply the redo logs directly from my redo log file.Does it make sense if I allocate more files for redo log to hold enough redo log information till the next day and stop archiving.
Re: Archive log and hot backup [message #454978 is a reply to message #454975] Sun, 09 May 2010 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
If you have space enough you can create redo logs for one month but anyway you should backup archived logs in case some redo log groups.

Regards
Michel
Re: Archive log and hot backup [message #456588 is a reply to message #454978] Tue, 18 May 2010 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bali2006

Hi,
before moving to rman we did hotbackup for all databases, too.
I would advice you to issue a 'alter system switch logfile' to ensure that the current online redo log is archived.
After making The hotbackup issue this Statement again. So you have all online logs before and during the backup archived.
Now you can backup your htobackup set to Tape or another Storage device, incl. The archived Logs.
Now you have a really complete backup. And don't forget to make à Backup controlfile to trace to recover your
controlfiles if they get lost Wink)

If you store all archivelogs to a safe place, you can recover your database to any point in case of à logical error.

Regards
Richard
Re: Archive log and hot backup [message #456600 is a reply to message #456588] Tue, 18 May 2010 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
issue a 'alter system switch logfile' to ensure that the current online redo log is archived.

If you want this then the command is "alter system archive log current", a switch does not assure the log is archived.

Quote:
hotbackup issue this Statement again. So you have all online logs before and during the backup archived.

In this case the command is "alter system archive log all".

Quote:
And don't forget to make à Backup controlfile to trace to recover your controlfiles if they get lost

It is better to configure an autobackup of control file then you also keep backup information and so that are in the control file and are not in the backup to trace.

Regards
Michel
Re: Archive log and hot backup [message #456603 is a reply to message #456600] Tue, 18 May 2010 12:53 Go to previous message
bali2006

Hi Michel,

thank you for sharing your knowledge, i didnt actully know that 'alter system switch logfile' doesnt assure that The log is archived.
Thank you!

Regards
Richard
Previous Topic: Catalog Database crashed
Next Topic: extract of Procedures
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:29:28 CDT 2024