Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Flash recovery to another server (10g)
Flash recovery to another server [message #455253] Mon, 10 May 2010 18:18 Go to next message
itsjoebarton
Hi

Is it possible to set up a flash recovery area on another server?

alter system set db_recovery_file_dest='//ourserver/z$/DataBaseBackups/Oracle/oraserver/FlashRecoveryArea';

SQL> alter system set db_recovery_file_dest='//ourserver/z$/DataBaseBackups/Orac
le/oraserver/FlashRecoveryArea';
alter system set db_recovery_file_dest='//ourserver/z$/DataBaseBackups/Oracle/oraserver/FlashRecoveryArea'
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-02097: parameter cannot be modified because specified value is invalid
ORA-01261: Parameter db_recovery_file_dest destination string cannot be
translated
ORA-01263: Name given for file destination directory is invalid
OSD-04018: Unable to access the specified directory or device.
O/S-Error: (OS 5) Access is denied.

Joe
Re: Flash recovery to another server [message #455256 is a reply to message #455253] Mon, 10 May 2010 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>alter system set db_recovery_file_dest='//ourserver/z$/DataBaseBackups/Oracle/oraserver/FlashRecoveryArea'

cd \\other_system\parent_dir\child_dir

I thought slashes for Windoze like are mine & not yours.
I am not sure if it matters.
The special character "$" might also cause a problem.
Re: Flash recovery to another server [message #455286 is a reply to message #455256] Mon, 10 May 2010 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Unable to access the specified directory or device

Most of the time (and it is recommended) the owner of the instance (the user that started the service) has no network privilege and so can't use shared drive.
Check this user in "services" program.

Regards
Michel
Re: Flash recovery to another server [message #455450 is a reply to message #455286] Tue, 11 May 2010 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
itsjoebarton
Black Swan, Michel,
Thanks for your input. The target server is boing to be used for all database backups, and managed as such. In the case, a share may need to be placed on that volume for the SQL service account, then the Z$ is replaced by the share name. This may work. My primary goal is to central all database backups on this server.
Joe
Re: Flash recovery to another server [message #455451 is a reply to message #455450] Tue, 11 May 2010 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>My primary goal is to central all database backups on this server.
Single point of failure?
There is no perfect solution; only Trade-offs!
Re: Flash recovery to another server [message #455452 is a reply to message #455451] Tue, 11 May 2010 11:15 Go to previous message
itsjoebarton
Our architect intends to do a tape scrape form this server, maybe even some kind of mirror. I can compress via RMAN to reduce the file size for traffic congestion, MSSQL may be a different story.
Joe
Previous Topic: ASM Migration SAN to SAN
Next Topic: ASMCA Help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 07:33:20 CDT 2024