Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Problem in Switch over (Oacle 10g)
icon5.gif  Problem in Switch over [message #477764] Mon, 04 October 2010 05:06 Go to next message
rushi123
Hello Experts,

I new to data guard concept .And facing some problem ....................

I am using oracle 10g with data guard configured , I have primary ( A ) and standby database ( B ) .But because of
some unavoidable conditions the primary database ( A ) got shutdown and was not starting , We shifted the standby database ( B )
at new location and changed it to primary with following command ,

startup mount;

alter database recover managed standby database finish;

alter database commit to switchover to physical primary;

shutdown;

startup;

This new primary ( B ) was open for end users for 2 days during which old primary ( A ) was shutdown .

I took the backup of ( B ) and restored it on A AND shutdown the B . Now A is acting as Primary database. Server B
is shutdown .

I want to change server B to standby database with A running as Primary .Is it possible ?

Thanks,
Rushi123

Re: Problem in Switch over [message #477773 is a reply to message #477764] Mon, 04 October 2010 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

Instead of database restore why you didn't try switch over from standby to primary ?

Thanks
icon8.gif  Re: Problem in Switch over [message #477775 is a reply to message #477773] Mon, 04 October 2010 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rushi123
That as the mistake we did .........hum.....Is there way to solve this situatuion ?
Re: Problem in Switch over [message #477777 is a reply to message #477775] Mon, 04 October 2010 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

Anyway you already restored standby database to primary.

Configure physical standby database configuration on your current primary database and standby database by using http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14239/create_ps.htm#i63561

Or You can go with RMAN Duplicate standby database.

Thanks, Babu
Re: Problem in Switch over [message #477813 is a reply to message #477777] Mon, 04 October 2010 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rushi123
Thanks for your prompt reply,
Currentely Server A is runing as Primary Server from last 2 days and Server B is shutdown

during this period .
Please correct me if I am wrong...
1 .Now I shuld tale backup of server A AND restore the same on server B.
2 .Create physical stand by database for primary server A . This standby database will be on
server B .

One more question ..If my application is SAP does this process of creating Standby database changes or Do i have to consider some special point ? Please help..
Thanks,
Rushi123
Re: Problem in Switch over [message #477831 is a reply to message #477813] Mon, 04 October 2010 12:44 Go to previous message
babuknb

>>1 .Now I shuld tale backup of server A AND restore the same on server B.

You said already restore done from B to A, Why again your asking ??

>>Create physical stand by database for primary server A . This standby database will be on
server B

What's your problem ? Already given link to you please check before asking question.

>>f my application is SAP does this process of creating Standby database changes or Do i have to consider some special point ? Please help..

What do you mean by standby database changes ?? Do you mean by special point ?

Thanks, Babu

Previous Topic: one primary and 2 physical standby databases
Next Topic: Physical standby with same SID
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:40:41 CDT 2024