Home » Other » Community Hangout » politically correct holiday wishes
politically correct holiday wishes [message #487090] Wed, 22 December 2010 11:50 Go to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I saw this on another website and thought it might be appropriate and appreciated here.

"Please accept with no obligation, implied or explicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all. I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2011, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great. Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only America in the Western Hemisphere . Also, this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee."
Re: politically correct holiday wishes [message #487093 is a reply to message #487090] Wed, 22 December 2010 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Does America mean USA? Twisted Evil

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Wed, 22 December 2010 12:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: politically correct holiday wishes [message #487095 is a reply to message #487093] Wed, 22 December 2010 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Michel Cadot wrote on Wed, 22 December 2010 10:09
Does America mean USA? Twisted Evil

Regards
Michel

Although I didn't write it, just quoted it, in that context, it looks like yes. However, in other contexts, America can mean the United States of America (U.S.A.) or the continent of North America, or the continent of South America, or both continents together or any one of a few cities named America.

I like your little icon. It fits your personality. Maybe you should make it your avatar. It reminds me of the time that you told Tom Kyte,

"I am the "fellow moderator" Barbara was talking about (although I'm more an agitator)."

[Updated on: Wed, 22 December 2010 13:16]

Re: politically correct holiday wishes [message #487097 is a reply to message #487090] Wed, 22 December 2010 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
Barbara Boehmer wrote on Wed, 22 December 2010 12:50
winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most

Do those in Australia get offended?
Re: politically correct holiday wishes [message #487100 is a reply to message #487097] Wed, 22 December 2010 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
For the holidays that those of us in the northern hemisphere celebrate in December during our winter, do those in the southern hemisphere also celebrate in December or in June during the corresponding time of their winter? I'm sure one of the Australians will know.

Re: politically correct holiday wishes [message #487118 is a reply to message #487100] Wed, 22 December 2010 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Our school year runs from early Feb to late December, so the long school holiday (about 6 weeks) is taken in mid-Summer - much like other parts of the world I believe. It is the most popular time of year for employees to take time off as well.

Our public holidays are also clustered around this time. We don't have Halloween or Thanksgiving (of course), but we have Boxing Day (Dec 26) in most states and Australia Day (Jan 26), as well as Christmas Day and New Years Day.

As for the Wintery tradition of Christmas: our Santas dress the same as yours (not fun at 37C / 100F), we sometimes spray fake snow on our windows or Christmas tree, and put up heaps of colored lights around the house even though it doesn't get dark until after 9pm. A big hot roast meal is still very popular at Christmas, but it's not uncommon to see a cold banquet (prawns/shrimp, oysters, cold roast meat).

More than anything, the end-of-year holiday season in Oz is about BBQs in the back yard, icy cold beers, and trips to the beach or pool.
Re: politically correct holiday wishes [message #487342 is a reply to message #487118] Sat, 25 December 2010 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Politically incorrectly, merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates it.
icon10.gif  Re: politically correct holiday wishes [message #487350 is a reply to message #487095] Sat, 25 December 2010 08:56 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I like your little icon. It fits your personality.

I feel you're right and I make it my avatar. Very Happy

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Sat, 25 December 2010 08:58]

Previous Topic: rain, electricity, electronics, plumbing, lunar eclipse
Next Topic: Merry Christmas!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:51:09 CDT 2024