Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Restore from newer control file and archived redo log files (Oracle 8i, Tru64 v5.1B)
Restore from newer control file and archived redo log files [message #501535] Tue, 29 March 2011 14:21 Go to next message
Pauly
I've got a legacy SAP system with oracle 8i on Tru64.
No changes at all are made but for legal reasons we have to keep it up and running.

we currently do a full backup monthly by shutting down oracle and doing a backup of all the files to tape and that takes around 12 hours.

If I stop doing the full backup and I only backup the control file and the archived redo log files every month and I had to restore the full database years from now, would I be able to restore the database using the last full monthly backup and use the latest control file and archived redo log files?

Thanks,
Paul
Re: Restore from newer control file and archived redo log files [message #501536 is a reply to message #501535] Tue, 29 March 2011 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Yes but you take some risks, if the only full backup is corrupted or one of your archived logs you lose.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Tue, 29 March 2011 14:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Restore from newer control file and archived redo log files [message #501543 is a reply to message #501536] Tue, 29 March 2011 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pauly
Thanks for the reply Michel!

We've been doing full backups monthly for the past 3 years now.. so worst case if the last full backup is corrupted, I could go back to one of them.

Thanks,
Paul
Re: Restore from newer control file and archived redo log files [message #501593 is a reply to message #501543] Wed, 30 March 2011 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
That's OK but you said: "If I stop doing the full backup" so I fear that you can lose everything if you fail to restore the last backup before stopping.

Also the more time you let between 2 backups the more time you will take to restore and recover the database (depending on the activity on it).
Why don't you take an online full backup each week? You have no downtime and it is far safer and faster to restore and recover.

Regards
Michel
Re: Restore from newer control file and archived redo log files [message #501665 is a reply to message #501593] Wed, 30 March 2011 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pauly
That should be OK Michel, the database is read only and no changes at all are made.

The reason we don't wanna do any online/offline full backups is because it takes 15 DLT4 tapes for each backup and the tape changers are out of warranty as they are too old for HP to provide support.

what I'll do is back up the control file and copy it along with the archived files each week to another newer server which gets backed up daily.

Thanks,
Paul
Re: Restore from newer control file and archived redo log files [message #501668 is a reply to message #501665] Wed, 30 March 2011 08:53 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
If the database is mostly read-only you can then take a cumulative incremental backup instead of a full one.
It all depends on the number of generated archived logs. If you say it is one per day then it is not worth to backup.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Removing rman backup only
Next Topic: rman error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 11:09:45 CDT 2024