Home » Other » Community Hangout » reading material
reading material [message #508669] Mon, 23 May 2011 15:38 Go to next message
John Watson
In a topic a few months ago, rleishman suggested that I might enjoy books by Neal Stephenson. I can't remember how the topic got there. But I have finally finished his Cryptonomicon. A good read! I suppose one would call it a techno-thriller, kind of Kim Stanley Robinson meets Dan Brown (with a good dose of humour). It's hard work in places: you get the Riemann Zeta function on page 10. But don't worry, there are another 900 pages to sort it out.
Thanks, Ross.
Re: reading material [message #508789 is a reply to message #508669] Tue, 24 May 2011 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
Thanks!
I am always looking for new books to read. I have to say though, that I tried reading William Gibson multiple times and can never get past the first few pages.
I have to first finish the last 3 books of the 19 book Star Wars New Jedi Order series. Geek!
Re: reading material [message #508892 is a reply to message #508789] Wed, 25 May 2011 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yasir Hashmi
So you guys get time apart from reading ORACLE books and docs and new releases.
Re: reading material [message #509462 is a reply to message #508669] Sat, 28 May 2011 01:30 Go to previous message
rleishman
Glad you enjoyed it.

As good as Cryptonomicon is, I prefer the Baroque Cycle (Quicksilver, Confusion, System of the World) a little more, even though the science references are mainly mathematical rather than computer/crypto.

If you can get through them (3000+ pages) and enjoy them, give Anathem a go. I'm still undecided whether Anathem is a masterpiece or an exercise in self-gratification for Stephenson. I had to read it a second time because I missed so much the first time through. It's hard-going (order of magnitude harder than Cryptonomicon for the first 200 pages) but ultimately I'm leaning towards "masterpiece".

I've now got hardback copies of all of these (plus Diamond Age and Snow Crash) because I plan to keep re-reading them every few years.
Previous Topic: New Jersey radio
Next Topic: Happy DBA day!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:34:12 CDT 2024