Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Restore rman backup on new server as different name sid/service/listener etc (10.2.0.4 windows 2008 64bit)
Restore rman backup on new server as different name sid/service/listener etc [message #543129] Mon, 13 February 2012 03:17 Go to next message
davekeep
Good morning.
I am attempting to use an rman backup form our live server to restore live data over an existing dev database with a different name.
I cant use the duplicate command as the versions of oracle are different (10.2.0.4 EE on live, 10.2.0.5 SE on dev)
So I copied the backup sets including an autobackup control file
onto the dev server.
I set the ORACLE_SID to the DEV version (SUN43DEV) and startup nomount and restore controlfile from the backup location.
This works and restored the live controlfile.
However, I then wanted to mount the database and catalog the backupsets before making a note of the last archivelog etc and restoring the backup with set newname options.
But when I try to mount the database I am told that the database has a different name (SUN43 is not SUN43DEV).
I read somewhere that I need to set the ORACLE_SID to the live value (SUN43) and restore as that, then use nid TO RESET THE DBID and DATABASE NAME. However, my tnsnames on DEV has no entry for the live database, and we do not have any service defined through ORADIM for the live instance on the dev server.
Should I be creating an entry in DEV tnsnames that actually looks at the LIVE server? or do I need to create a service and tns entry etc for SUN43 on my DEV server pointing at the DEV server
I have not seen any mention in instructions of creating a service or adding the entry to tnsnames, or indeed adding an entry to the listener for the original live sid.
I am worried that if I actually point to the live server then the restore would be attempted on the live server not dev even though I am running it from Dev.

Also, do I need to drop the existing database on DEV before I restore or will RMAN just restore over the top of it?

Finally, if I try to add an entry to the LISTENER.ORA for the new sid, when I stop and start the listener, or reload, the entry is not recognised. I also noticed that the existing SUN43DEV entry is not in there either, yet I can still use that SID - I am assuming that is because the listener is not being used and the sid is recognised from the existence of the service in windows services instead?

Can you please advise me what I should be doing - I am happy with the rman commands side of things, but confused about these sid and tns issues.

Thanks

Re: Restore rman backup on new server as different name sid/service/listener etc [message #543132 is a reply to message #543129] Mon, 13 February 2012 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Welcome to the forum - I hope you will both learn and contribute. Please read our OraFAQ Forum Guide and How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read

I suspect that what you are trying to do is impossible. Even if it can be made to work, I am certain it is not supported to restore a 10.2.0.5 database and open it with 10.2.0.4 binaries. You will need to install a 10.2.0.4 Oracle Home, do a DUPLICATE to it, and then apply the 10.2.0.5 patchset.
Re: Restore rman backup on new server as different name sid/service/listener etc [message #543148 is a reply to message #543132] Mon, 13 February 2012 03:45 Go to previous message
davekeep
Okay thanks John.
That aside, my UAT environment is the same edition and version as live.
I am in the proess of upgrading all of them to 11g anyway very shortly.
It is not the difference in editions etc that is my issue though, the same issue would apply if I wanted to refresh my UAT environment, so the same questions still apply. The instructions in restore and recovery of a database to a new host (
) say
Set the ORACLE_SID environment variable on hostb to the same value used on hosta:

% setenv ORACLE_SID trgta

but these instrictions assume a Linux server. In a windows environment do I have to have a service running and an entry in the tnsnames file? otherwise when I try to conenct to rman target / I get a tns error when I try to use the live sid.

also do I need to dro pthe existing database on dev before restore or can I just restore over it?
Previous Topic: backup archivelog issue
Next Topic: Archivelog backup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:11:07 CDT 2024