Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Oracle on "home" windows
Oracle on "home" windows [message #581828] Thu, 11 April 2013 03:40 Go to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
(Partially off-topic)

John Watson

(Don't worry about running Oracle on home Windows, I've been doing that for years, no problems)

You do? If I remember well, it was Barbara Boehmer (and she's someone you can trust) who said that she tried to do this and do that in order to make Windows Home work happily with Oracle, but without much success. Therefore, her experience along with quite a few people complaining about that issue, plus Oracle's statement that it won't work on Windows Home editions - I was rather sure that this *might* be a problem.

OK then, good luck in solving this problem!

[Updated on: Thu, 11 April 2013 03:54] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Oracle on "home" windows [message #581830 is a reply to message #581828] Thu, 11 April 2013 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Quote:
John Watson

(Don't worry about running Oracle on home Windows, I've been doing that for years, no problems)

You do? If I remember well, it was Barbara Boehmer (and she's someone you can trust) who said that she tried to do this and do that in order to make Windows Home work happily with Oracle, but without much success. Therefore, her experience along with quite a few people complaining about that issue, plus Oracle's statement that it won't work on Windows Home editions - I was rather sure that this *might* be a problem
This is an issue that keeps coming up! I see people on the Oracle Forums getting really uptight about it. The fact (I believe it to be a fact...) is that Oracle does not know whether Windows is "home" or not. All it knows is this:
c:\users\john\home>
c:\users\john\home>ver

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]

c:\users\john\home>
which is Vista or this
C:\Documents and Settings\John  Watson>ver

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

C:\Documents and Settings\John  Watson>
which is XP. There are differences in configuration, eg, I have come across a problem with home editions not being able to listen on enough ports (there is a registery setting somewhere that controls this) but the kernel is the same. Oracle doesn't support it, but that is not the same as saying it doesn't work. I missed BB's hassles (actually, I rather miss her recently!)

I'm going to see if I can split this sub-topic off into a new one.

[Updated on: Thu, 11 April 2013 03:54]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle on "home" windows [message #581841 is a reply to message #581830] Thu, 11 April 2013 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I *think* that this is Barbara's message I was talking about.
Re: Oracle on "home" windows [message #581855 is a reply to message #581841] Thu, 11 April 2013 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
The problem in that case is definitely not Oracle saying "I won't run on Home Edition" (in which case it could refuse to install at all), but Windows Home Edition saying "You want to start *that* many network services? I won't to that, you have to buy the Professional Edition for that!!"

So you *might* get lucky running a small DB with few session etc... for testing purposes, but it you have to be prepared that it might break any time.
Re: Oracle on "home" windows [message #581861 is a reply to message #581855] Thu, 11 April 2013 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
In other words, having a handy scott/tiger for answering forum questions would most probably work OK, right?
Re: Oracle on "home" windows [message #582133 is a reply to message #581861] Sat, 13 April 2013 18:27 Go to previous message
Barbara Boehmer
I can't even find my original thread regarding being unable to install Oracle 11g on Windows 7 Home. I do know that I had successfully installed and run various Oracle versions, up to Oracle 11g on various Windows Home versions up to Windows Vista. I know that Windows 7 was the first version in which I was unable to do that and had to resort to upgrading to Windows Professional to install Oracle 11g. The Windows Home versions lack networking and installing a Microsoft LoopBack Adapter, as per installation instructions, had previously allowed installation of Oracle on Windows Home, allowing most features to work. I remember that I couldn't get it to work on Windows 7. I can't remember if I couldn't even get the installation to finish or couldn't get it to run after installation. It may be that there was some workaround that I didn't find. I know that officially Oracle is not certified for Windows Home editions.

Previous Topic: Installation of Oracle 11gR2 on Windows 7 64-bit: Fails Error in orapwd.exe
Next Topic: Connection from Client To server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:00:01 CDT 2024