Home » Other » Suggestions & Feedback » Weekly/fortnightly polls to vote
Weekly/fortnightly polls to vote [message #612129] Sat, 12 April 2014 10:50 Go to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Folks,

How about having weekly/fortnightly polls about what Oracle users around the globe do/think/experience/suggest related to Oracle's diverse technology products and it's features.

This would keep the active users engaged in sharing their thoughts about Oracle products and their features. I am a part of such weekly polls in fee other forums. So far Orafaq forums have had been an excellent platform to answer the questions regarding the various domains/features/products/trending technologies of Oracle. Having a weekly or fortnightly polls would give us an idea about the realistic figures(precisely) and also keep us informed with the thoughts of the Oracle users throughout the globe.

I hope you guys believe that an idea is always good to be shared. Implementing it might be a challenge. Admin and the moderators could participate accordingly in preparing the polls and make this outstanding forum even more lively. I firmly believe it will be an useful and trending thing in OraFAQ.

Regards,
Lalit
Re: Weekly/fortnightly polls to vote [message #612279 is a reply to message #612129] Tue, 15 April 2014 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
I realize that my suggestion could only be considered by Frank Naude being the admin. I am not sure if moderators or account moderators can comment about my suggestion. Or am I being too curious about it?
Re: Weekly/fortnightly polls to vote [message #612292 is a reply to message #612129] Tue, 15 April 2014 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
I would question the real value of a poll.

It's really no different than when someone comes to the forum asking how to best determine 'x', whether 'x' is the mythical table fragmentation, the number of rows in a certain table, the name of the user that installed oracle five years ago .... whatever. The common and appropriate response is 'what will you do differently based on getting that information?'

Same with forum polls. You put up a question. It is responded to by a statistically insignificant number of self-selected responders. What decision am I going to make based on the results?

Does this thread itself constitute a type of poll? If so, do opinions expressed (like mine) have any value? Will they change anyone's behavior?

Cool

[Updated on: Tue, 15 April 2014 12:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Weekly/fortnightly polls to vote [message #612293 is a reply to message #612292] Tue, 15 April 2014 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
I would also say, any user interested in posting a poll with a specific question is free to do so.

If a user (or a group of users) can come up with an interesting poll every week, nobody would stop them from posting that poll. At the moment I'm thinking what could be interesting polls, but I draw somewhat of a blank. So, if you think you have a "good poll question" why don't you just create that poll and see what happens?

Re: Weekly/fortnightly polls to vote [message #612315 is a reply to message #612292] Wed, 16 April 2014 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
EdStevens wrote on Tue, 15 April 2014 22:31
What decision am I going to make based on the results?

Not necessarily to make any decision. Depends on the poll. Results might be useful in many ways. For example, I want to know on an average how many users have switched to 12c? A poll might provide me a rough idea. If it's a question in a forum about "Do you use 12c?", it would be absurd to count all the responses and get an idea.

Quote:
Does this thread itself constitute a type of poll?

No. It's just a suggestion Cool

Quote:
If so, do opinions expressed (like mine) have any value?
That's why there is always an option as "No idea" or "N/A" in any poll Laughing

Quote:
Will they change anyone's behavior?

Depends on the participation and results.
Re: Weekly/fortnightly polls to vote [message #612317 is a reply to message #612293] Wed, 16 April 2014 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
ThomasG wrote on Tue, 15 April 2014 23:16
any user interested in posting a poll with a specific question is free to do so.

And there is no doubt about it, of course any registered user can do it. My idea was standardized poll, not by random users. Anyway, I appreciate your reply. If I have some good poll to create, I would definitely do that.
Re: Weekly/fortnightly polls to vote [message #612325 is a reply to message #612317] Wed, 16 April 2014 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
In my opinion, the following Ed's sentence is crucial:

Ed

It is responded to by a statistically insignificant number of self-selected responders

This forum is regularly visited by no more than 20 members (and I'm probably exaggerating). Not all of them (OK, "us") will be interested in participating. You can't rely on occasional visitors to participate, not to mention people who come here just because Google returned a result they were looking for (i.e. guests).

So, what kind of a conclusion would you make if you ask "how many of you have switched to 12c", 1 members posts a reply saying "yes". It certainly doesn't mean that 100% of - who exactly? Oracle users? - switched to 12c (because they didn't). Even if you get 20 replies, that's still close to nothing.

As Ed said: you would be dealing with statistically insignificant number of participants and that kind of polls (and their results) is useless.
Re: Weekly/fortnightly polls to vote [message #612328 is a reply to message #612325] Wed, 16 April 2014 01:37 Go to previous message
Lalit Kumar B
FAir enough. However, I thought the number of active users and their participation would increase(hopefully not to add noise). But I understand your point, not only the number but also it depends on who are responding too.

Thanks for the replies.
Previous Topic: How can I permanently delete my account how can I do it
Next Topic: IE hack and spam link
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:32:58 CDT 2024