Home » Other » General » Oracle In-Memory Column Store
Oracle In-Memory Column Store [message #619491] Wed, 23 July 2014 00:54 Go to next message
rleishman
Near Real Time Analytics Game Changer!

This is freakin' amazing. Latest release of Oracle 12c includes a new option: In Memory Column Store for analytic queries.
The on-disk RDBMS that you know and love now has a new toy: a new area of memory where tables or entire tablespaces are stored in a compressed column-store (as opposed to the row-wise Buffer Cache).

The column store can optionally exclude listed partitions or columns.

It is maintained in near real time with transactional consistancy guaranteed and it permits direct path loads and partition exchanges. If you run an analytic query and the column store is stale, it will fail over to the standard on-disk database.

And it that wasn't enough, we've got some new optimizer methods: bloom filters and vector joins. What a hoot!

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/in-memory/overview/twp-oracle-database-in-memory-2245633.html
Re: Oracle In-Memory Column Store [message #619599 is a reply to message #619491] Wed, 23 July 2014 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
It will be some time before I can look at this, I'm replying mostly to give the topic a kick to the top of the New Forum Posts list. Hoping someone else will do the research.
Do you happen to know what it costs? I can't see it on shop.oracle.com.

I'll be downloading 12.1.0.2 imminently...
Re: Oracle In-Memory Column Store [message #619647 is a reply to message #619599] Wed, 23 July 2014 17:51 Go to previous message
rleishman
John Watson wrote on Thu, 24 July 2014 03:46
Do you happen to know what it costs? I can't see it on shop.oracle.com.

I don't know for sure, but I got the impression that it was like the Parallel "option"; standard equipment in the Enterprise release.

Ross Leishman
Previous Topic: PL/SQL Store Application Configuration
Next Topic: DB12.1.0.2 New Features
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:21:29 CDT 2024