Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Backup controlfiles and recovery?
Backup controlfiles and recovery? [message #54968] Fri, 20 December 2002 12:32 Go to next message
Jeff
I'm trying to figure out what the best way to backup a controlfile is to ensure it will be suitable to use for recovery. I can't just make a copy of a controlfile with the OS commands while the database is up, right? If I use "backup controlfile to <PATH>" will that give me a binary copy of the controlfile that IS valid for recovery?
Re: Backup controlfiles and recovery? [message #54970 is a reply to message #54968] Fri, 20 December 2002 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
backup controlfile to trace DOES not give a binary file.
it adds entries of to the trace file containing
the create datbase statemnet and all files.
it is definately useful if you want to recreate the control file.
the OS copy (what u take ) is binary
Re: Backup controlfiles and recovery? [message #54991 is a reply to message #54968] Mon, 23 December 2002 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ctg
yes you can use a backup controlfile taken with the ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO 'filename' to recover your database.

you would just have to make sure when you do the recovery, you specify USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE.
Re: Backup controlfiles and recovery? [message #54994 is a reply to message #54968] Mon, 23 December 2002 13:35 Go to previous message
Jeff
Great. Thanks a lot for your help. I'll remember that I need the "using backup controlfile" option when/if I ever have to recover.
Previous Topic: Script RMAN
Next Topic: RMAN Backup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:14:33 CDT 2024