Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Is it possible to install Oracle 11g Forms Builder on Windows desktop without the WebLogic Server? (Forms Builder, 11g, Windows7 Desktop)
Is it possible to install Oracle 11g Forms Builder on Windows desktop without the WebLogic Server? [message #632311] Wed, 28 January 2015 16:20 Go to next message
doddiv
We have an application hosted on a Unix OS. And for development we use the Forms & Reports Builder Tools on our Windows desktops. Recently we upgraded the application to 11g version and is running fine.

For compatibility now we would like to install the 11g version builder tools on our desktop. In this regard we don't want to install the WebLogic Server on our desktops. Is Oracle released any such Builder tools or given any alternate solution for development tools without WebLogic Server?
For info, on our desktop we are using Forms Builder only for getting the FMB files, but for compilation and testing we always deploy them to the Unix host. Also in our case the management is not accepting to install the WebLogic Server on our desktops as it occupies lots of memory.

Appreciate for any help in this regard?
Re: Is it possible to install Oracle 11g Forms Builder on Windows desktop without the WebLogic Server? [message #632321 is a reply to message #632311] Thu, 29 January 2015 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Have a look what I wrote here. *Maybe* it'll help. (In other words, I think / hope that you don't have to install WebLogic Server).
Re: Is it possible to install Oracle 11g Forms Builder on Windows desktop without the WebLogic Server? [message #632373 is a reply to message #632311] Thu, 29 January 2015 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
Hmmm, I don't know if this helps, but it can't hurt.

You do NOT need Weblogic server running to use the 11g forms builder. However, I do not remember if you needed to install Weblogic first, before you install the Forms builder.

So, I would think worst case is you install Weblogic server to get forms installed, just do not start it up. Then you can go into forms builder and do what you need to do, copy the .fmb file to unix and compile it there.

Hope that helps.
Re: Is it possible to install Oracle 11g Forms Builder on Windows desktop without the WebLogic Server? [message #632398 is a reply to message #632373] Thu, 29 January 2015 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CraigB
According to Oracle, YES you must install the WebLogic Server (WLS) before you can install the Fusion Middleware (FMw) suite (which includes Forms/Reports 11g). Oracle's WLS has replaced the OC4J that came with the Oracle Developer Suite (ODS) 10g. In order to run a form from the Forms Builder, you have to have WLS installed. I am currently using Forms 11g and the installation of both is not that difficult. When my company first started looking to upgrade to 11g, we tested if you can could install FMw without WLS and as I recall, the installer for FMw will fail if WLS is not installed because it is dependent on WLS. Just make sure you perform a "Developer" install of FMw - this will reduce the disk space required for the installation, but you will still need to install WLS first. Sad

If you would like detailed instructions for installing, please let me know and I will be happy to post them.

Craig...
Re: Is it possible to install Oracle 11g Forms Builder on Windows desktop without the WebLogic Server? [message #632411 is a reply to message #632398] Fri, 30 January 2015 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Aha! WLS replaces OC4J. Didn't know that, thank you! (Still using 10g ...)
Re: Is it possible to install Oracle 11g Forms Builder on Windows desktop without the WebLogic Server? [message #632541 is a reply to message #632411] Mon, 02 February 2015 16:25 Go to previous message
CraigB
Yes, sadly, WLS has replaced the OC4J. This would be fine if there was a "Scaled" down instance of WLS that you could install with the Developer tools rather than install the whole thing. My hope is that Oracle is able to make the WLS install with Fusion Middleware 12c much, much smaller. We'll see...12c is set to be released in the near future.

Craig...
Previous Topic: Disable Button
Next Topic: .fmx deployed in a different environment throws error ora-06508
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 12:29:42 CDT 2024