Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Symbols & Units in Oracle Forms (Oracle 10g)
Symbols & Units in Oracle Forms [message #646693] Wed, 06 January 2016 23:26 Go to next message
1982Hashmi
For my application developed in Oracle Forms 10g I need to add scientific units against different measures/chemical formulas. For example:

H2O (Water formula with 2 at subscript)
CO2 (Carbon Dioxide with 2 at subscript)
0C  (Degrees centigrade with 0 at superscript)
Ω   (Ohm)
cm² (centimeter square)
α   (Alpha)

I've tried to use character map to enter such characters directly in the table but when I re-query data these letters are shown as ¿ (inverted question mark) or converted to one of the alphabetic letter (A-Z).

How do I save/print such letters in correct formatting???
Re: Symbols & Units in Oracle Forms [message #646709 is a reply to message #646693] Thu, 07 January 2016 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
By using a character set that recognizes them
Re: Symbols & Units in Oracle Forms [message #646710 is a reply to message #646709] Thu, 07 January 2016 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1982Hashmi
Sir, please guide me how do I configure character set to support such characters.
Re: Symbols & Units in Oracle Forms [message #646729 is a reply to message #646710] Thu, 07 January 2016 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CraigB
Since you are using Forms 10g, you are limited to presenting Fonts that are available to the Application Server. Keep in mind, that your Form runs on the Application Server and is presented to the Client through a Java Applet. You will have to do some "Trial and Error" to ensure you have the needed fonts on the application server and then you will need to modify the "Default Font Group" to include these fonts so the application can display them. Depending on how frequent you need to display these characters, it might be easier to simply display an image of the character rather than the character itself.
Re: Symbols & Units in Oracle Forms [message #646737 is a reply to message #646729] Thu, 07 January 2016 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Lets just clarify that character set != font
Character set defines the range of possible characters that can be stored/displayed
Font determines how a particular character is displayed.

You need the character set on the DB and the app server to be one that recognizes the characters you're trying to use and you need the font to recognize them too, but most standard fonts will

superscript and subscript are font properties - there is a superscript 2 character but as far as I can see no subscript 2. This is a problem I'm not sure you can get around - while you can make anything subscript in word for example you can't in forms - mainly because the DB itself won't save font information. You can't save bold or italic in the DB either for the same reason. So if this is stuff you're querying from the DB then you'll have to live with standard numbers in the chemical formulas.

Also the degree symbol is not superscript 0, it's its own character - Alt+0176
Re: Symbols & Units in Oracle Forms [message #646750 is a reply to message #646737] Thu, 07 January 2016 22:54 Go to previous message
1982Hashmi
Thanks for a brief reply.
Previous Topic: windows error event id :1000 with javaw.exe
Next Topic: VALIDATING QTY
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:57:51 CDT 2024