Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » AD Domain Group - Windows (Oracle 12c)
AD Domain Group - Windows [message #664202] Thu, 06 July 2017 13:53 Go to next message
XpertDBA99
Hello,

I'm a bit new to Oracle on Windows, and am trying to figure out how AD Domain Groups work with Oracle and Windows. I pulled up the Oracle Administration Assistant for Windows and added in 2 domain groups to the OS Database Administrators - Computer item and also added the same 2 domain groups to the Database OS Database Administrators item for that database (Let's just call the database ORCL, and the 2 domain groups we'll call COMPANY\DevCenter Tech and COMPANY\DevCenter DBA)

Once I've done that, what other things to I need to do to make the users of these groups be able to access the database? What do the members of these groups use to log into the database without a password? (Examples please). Let's say my userid is FFRED and I'm part of either of the 2 domain groups. What do I enter in SQLPLUS to log into the database without a password? Do I need to add FFRED or either of the DevCenter AD Domains as users explicitly in the database, or has that already been taken care of for me by what I did in the Oracle Administration Assistant for Windows?

Can I login without having to specify who I am, since I'm already part of one of the AD Domain Groups?

I read some stuff about the OPS$ string being appended to the userid, so not sure I understand about that either.

Any information would be helpful, thanks.

Robert
Re: AD Domain Group - Windows [message #664203 is a reply to message #664202] Thu, 06 July 2017 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Never use OS authentication to connect remotely, this is a security hole.
You can use AD to authenticate to Oracle but it is not simple to set and requires you buy Advanced Security option to create "entreprise user".

See Using Oracle Database with Microsoft Active Directory.

[Updated on: Thu, 06 July 2017 14:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: AD Domain Group - Windows [message #664206 is a reply to message #664203] Thu, 06 July 2017 16:55 Go to previous message
XpertDBA99
So why do they even provide the option of adding domain groups in on the Oracle Administration Assistant for Windows, if you can't use the domain groups to do Windows Authentication? I was assuming once you added those groups in as DB administrators that the members of that group could access the database specified.

Previous Topic: Cleaning Database after development and tests
Next Topic: Unable to connect to Oracle DB (11g R2)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:53:08 CDT 2024