Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Cold backup of archive log mode DB
Cold backup of archive log mode DB [message #60887] Fri, 12 March 2004 01:19 Go to next message
Phil
I have a DB in archive log mode but I want to take it down, and do  a cold backup.  When I restart the database, I want to delete all the archive logs cos I have them backed up now. If I delete all the archive logs, won't the DB wonder what's going on?  Do I need to reset the archivelogs or something.

Many thanks for your help.
Re: Cold backup of archive log mode DB [message #60888 is a reply to message #60887] Fri, 12 March 2004 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daljit Singh
Hi,

I dont know y u want to take cold backup in archive log mode.
Well i dont think that shutting down taking cold backup deleting archive logs and then restarting ur DB in archive log will effect anything. But still for precaution u can shutdown the DB then mount it and issue ALTER DATABASE NOARCHIVELOG command and take cold backup and again issue ALTER DATABASE ARCHIVELOG command and open the DB, it will work perfectly that i am sure.

Daljit Singh.
Re: Cold backup of archive log mode DB [message #60889 is a reply to message #60887] Fri, 12 March 2004 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phil
we need to delete old archive logs so, the backup needs to be in arhcive log mode. Plan is to do cold backup, delete the archive logs, bring the DB up again. Won't the DB moan if, when we start it up, it can't find the last archive log? Do I need to reset archive logs or after the backup shall I just take it down and put it in no-archive log mode, delete the logs and then start it up in archive log mode?
Re: Cold backup of archive log mode DB [message #60890 is a reply to message #60888] Fri, 12 March 2004 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phil
we need to delete old archive logs so, the backup needs to be in arhcive log mode. Plan is to do cold backup, delete the archive logs, bring the DB up again. Won't the DB moan if, when we start it up, it can't find the last archive log? Do I need to reset archive logs or after the backup shall I just take it down and put it in no-archive log mode, delete the logs and then start it up in archive log mode?
Re: Cold backup of archive log mode DB [message #60896 is a reply to message #60890] Fri, 12 March 2004 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
Doing Cold backups in Archivelog mode is fine,but you might as well do Hotbackups , avoiding the database shutdown, which not only affects your database availability but also performance.

Now, once you complete your cold backup, previous archivelogs are technically not needed for recovery,but you might as well keep it(depending on your backup frequency and disk space), in case you loose your cold backup files and needed to restore from the previous cold backup.

Thirdly, normal database startups doesnt need any archivelogs. Instance recovery only needs online redolog files. I hope you are not deleting online redolog files. Media recovery needs archivelogs.

You dont need to switch between Archivelog mode and Noarchivelog mode to purge archivelogs.

-Thiru
Re: Cold backup of archive log mode DB [message #62869 is a reply to message #60887] Fri, 20 August 2004 08:10 Go to previous message
Balaji
Hi Phil ,

1.You need not waste the database uptime to take a cold backup by shutting down .Take hot backup while the database is up and running .

2.If you have a backup copy of the archived logs to one or more targets then you can reclaim disk space by deleting those archived logs .

3.Archived logs are meant for database restoration/recovery to a specific point of time from any available backup of a previous date.Like you can restore the database as it existed on the Easter Sunday if you have

I.the backup of any day before the easter sunday
II.All the archived logs after that backup.

YOu can restore that even on Christmas day if you need.

4.Reset logs need not be applied if you open the database normal .But required if you do a partial recovery like said before.

with best wishes

balaji
Previous Topic: Restoring old archivelog files from backupset
Next Topic: Oracle database backup via SQL/SP?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 07:12:50 CDT 2024