Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » losing controlfile as RMAN repository
losing controlfile as RMAN repository [message #73443] Fri, 30 April 2004 05:14 Go to next message
Mathias Lobel
Hi there,

I am using RMAN with controlfile as RMAN repository. If I lose my controlfile, I can't connect anymore to the catalog and I can't recover.

Is it possible to use a backup controlfile to mount the database and then register my backup sets ? How can I recover if this is not possible ?

Thanks for all your ideas !
Re: losing controlfile as RMAN repository [message #73444 is a reply to message #73443] Fri, 30 April 2004 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean, if you use a recovery catalog, you can connect to it and restore any of your control files. If you don't (and you rely on info in the control file - which you should not!) you are stuffed.

Create a RMAN repository on a separate DB and machine, it will save your but one day!!!

Best regards.

Frank
Re: losing controlfile as RMAN repository [message #73503 is a reply to message #73443] Wed, 12 May 2004 10:45 Go to previous message
croca
You must create a repository and use RMAN in a catalog fashion way.
Best luck, and if you want to display your backups's detailed information, try RMV from www.otools.com.ar
Previous Topic: oracle backup
Next Topic: Database recovery using RMAN
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:11:13 CDT 2024