Home » Server Options » Replication » Oracle database copy to other server
Oracle database copy to other server [message #75299] Tue, 17 December 2002 23:23 Go to next message
Umesh T
HI,
We hv a situation where the client wants to copy the database from one Solaris server to another solaris server and freeup the first one for something else. The oracle database is around 400GB and being the production application, CLient is very eager to have the very minimal down time.

CLient is using the Veritas VM and FS and Sun Storage boxes. We can use Veritas snapshot or other utilities for this.

PLs. let us know what all options we hv to do the same and the risks involved with each option.

WIth Regards
-Umesh T
Re: Oracle database copy to other server [message #75313 is a reply to message #75299] Thu, 30 January 2003 07:22 Go to previous message
CH
I copy our production database for testing every couple of months, it's on NT and I find the easiest way to do it is to:
1. Issue the command 'alter database backup conrolfile to trace;'
2. Make a coldbackup of your live database.
3. Copy the coldbackup db files to their destination either on the same machine (different directory) or on another machine.
4. If you need/want to change the database name, recreate the controlfile using the file created in step 1. Alter the file using set to rename the database

CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE set DATABASE "new_db_name" RESETLOGS NOARCHIVELOG

You can also change the file locations, size of the log files etc using this file.
5. If you don't need to change the database name but do need to change the file location. Mount the database rename the files and then open the database.

I only use import/export if I'm changing platforms.
Hope this helps
Previous Topic: About Oracle snapshot replicatiion
Next Topic: transfering blob data
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:40:28 CDT 2024