Home » Fusion Middleware & Colab Suite » Weblogic & Application Server » asp.net 1.1 and oracle 8.1.7
asp.net 1.1 and oracle 8.1.7 [message #77048] Thu, 22 July 2004 10:59 Go to next message
vannak
I tried to connect to oracle database version 8.1.7 from ASP.Net 1.1 and get this error message:

ORA-12154 TNS:Could not resolve service name

I get this same message whether I use OLEDB Provider for Oracle or  .Net data provider for Oracle etc..

I think it has something to do with permissions.  I am able to connect to Oracle with PL/SQL Developer but not through ASP.Net.  I granted permission to the Oracle Home to IUSR_.. and IWAM_..

Can anyone please help? 

Thanks,

Vannak.Chhang@imerys.com
Re: asp.net 1.1 and oracle 8.1.7 [message #77087 is a reply to message #77048] Tue, 24 August 2004 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Compton
Finally bottomed this one using tools from sysinternals -

For some reason ASP uses the registry (rather than environment variables) to locate TNS_ADMIN - so you need to add a TNS_ADMIN key to the registry.

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREORACLE
Add a string value named TNS_ADMIN and set its value to the location of the TNSNAMES.ORA file (C:OracleInstantClient in my case).

You also need to ensure that ASPNET account has full priveleges on the directories where your oracle client files reside.

Hope this helps
Mark Compton
Re: asp.net 1.1 and oracle 8.1.7 [message #77088 is a reply to message #77087] Tue, 24 August 2004 06:54 Go to previous message
vannak
Thanks Mark. I actually resolved it. In Win2K, I needed to grant ASPNET permission to oracle home directory and on down.
Previous Topic: Master-Detail using pl/sql web toolkit and javascript
Next Topic: Oracle 8i Database and Oracle Application Server 9i
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:22:35 CDT 2024