Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Unable to Insert Record
Unable to Insert Record [message #78677] Sun, 10 March 2002 18:34 Go to next message
Anbu J. Mohamed
When I try to enter a record from Oracle Forms, an error message "FRM-40508:Oracle error:unable to INSERT record" appears.The user already has access to the objects related to the forms.I tried to create a new user in Oracle and again try to insert record in Oracle Forms, the same error. By application design, any new user created will automatically have access to public synonyms of application schema objects.

With this problem, I am unable to create new users for my application.

Appreciate your suggestions and answers asap.
Re: Unable to Insert Record [message #78681 is a reply to message #78677] Mon, 11 March 2002 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pratap kumar tripathy
when the error is occuring, at that point of time, go to help menu and click "display error" menu item . it will give u exact error.and then post the exact error
Re: Unable to Insert Record [message #78701 is a reply to message #78677] Mon, 11 March 2002 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anbu J. Mohamed
Hi Pratap,

**** Let me explain it in a different way ****

Schema X has all the application objects ( tables, views , etc.. ). Public synonyms ( for schema transparency ) have been created on all these objects & select, insert, update, delete privileges have been granted to PUBLIC. This means whenever a new oracle user is created, he should have access to all these objects using their synonym names and the application forms and reports should also run without a problem for the newuser. However, now the problem is when I create a new user, and run an application form logged in as the user and try to enter a record and save it, I get the following :

FRM-40508:Oracle error:unable to INSERT record

Display Error gives the following :

ORA-04043 : object
does not exist

Using SQL*Plus, I logged in as the same user and try to insert a record in the tablename that showed error. It succeeded.
This happens not only for this application form but for all the forms and whenever I try to insert a record, it encounters the same problem that "Object does not exist".

I thought of recreating all the PUBLIC synonyms again and grant access to public on these application tables. But, it would be helpful to me to know what exactly causes this problem.

Oracle version 8i-8.1.5 on Tru64Unix 4.0F.
Re: Unable to Insert Record [message #78706 is a reply to message #78677] Mon, 11 March 2002 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pratap kumar tripathy
i tried here to reproduce the problem. but i could not ,even in oracle 7.

what u r using in the base table property of the block the synonym name or the table_name. u should use synonym name.

can u tell the way u created the synonym.it may help to trace the problem

---------------------------------------
ORA-04043 object name does not exist

Cause: An object name was specified that was not recognized by the system. There are several possible causes:

·_An invalid name for a table, view, sequence, procedure, function, package, or package body was entered. Since the system did not recognize the invalid name, it responded with the message that the named object did not exist.
·_An attempt was made to rename an index or a cluster or some other object that cannot be renamed.

Action: Check the spelling of the renamed object and rerun the code. Valid names of tables, views, functions, and so forth can be listed by querying the data dictionary.
Re: Unable to Insert Record(Faced same problem...got a new patch...solved..) [message #78946 is a reply to message #78677] Fri, 05 April 2002 06:24 Go to previous message
Smitha
Hi,
I had been searching for information on a similar kind of problem(ie SYNONYM and FORMS). My problem is different from yours. But I have encountered the same problem as Mr Mohamed.
Ie unbale to insert and update synonyms.
Its not any privilege/role problem. If you had created a synonym(in DBA schema) for a table in the DBA schema and tried to insert into that synonym thru forms it would give the same error.
It is an incompatibility issue between Forms6.0 and Oracle8. What you can do is, get a new patch from Oracle. That is what we did to solve the problem. We had wasted nearly one month hooked into this problem.
It got solved with the latest patch.

But now we are facing another problem, which looks like an oversight in the latest patch.
My problem is, we have a set of forms that are view only(history forms), but that can take you to another set of forms(add forms) that provide functionality for adding,editing etc...

So we have created views for all the tables to be used in history forms, so that it prevents user from editing records(from typing in). We did not disable anything at the form level. It worked fine for the owner of the schema. Owner could not type in ...which was perfect.
Then we created synonyms for all the views to be used in other schemas....
Problem: Non owner logins are able to type in to the fields!!!!....(but they can not save it)...
Do you have any solution for this?
One work around is handling UPDATE_ALLOWED and INSERT_ALLOWED at form level. It works, but we want to keep it as the last choice.
One more point:
We created synonyms for the views in the owner schema itself, to see whether its a privilege issue. That also allowed editing(but no saving) thru forms. So I beleive its a synonym issue.

Let me know your thoughts abt this.
Thanks,
Smitha.
Previous Topic: Oracle Reports - Function in a Heading
Next Topic: Problems getting LOV to open up
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 22:45:02 CDT 2024