Home » Developer & Programmer » Data Integration » coalesce in oracle express
coalesce in oracle express [message #93329] Thu, 15 July 2004 06:47 Go to next message
Harjit
Can i use coalesce for a specific analytical workspace (AW) in Oracle express .

I am not clear if an AW is a normal table or not .

Regards

Harjit
Re: coalesce in oracle express [message #93346 is a reply to message #93329] Fri, 06 August 2004 11:48 Go to previous message
Venkata Phani Kumar.Velur
How are you creating the dimensions and cubes currently? With Oracle Warehouse Builder, or through manual CREATE DIMENSION statements? If so, you won't have created the CWMLITE metadata that BI Beans requires for relational cubes and dimensions.

If you use OEM (assuming you've installed the OLAP Option on the database in question) the dimensions and cubes you create will appear in the OLAP Catalog, as OEM does create the required CWMLITE metadata. If you use the OLAP Bridge in OWB, this also creates the CWMLITE metadata for relational cubes and dimensions, usually as part of the analytic workspace creation process.

You don't need to create an analytic workspace in order for your data to be visible to BI Beans; if you create the required CWMLITE metadata, as described above, your relational cubes and dimensions should be visible. The reason it *always* works for analytic workspaces, is that the process that creates them also creates relational views over the AW, and these relational views have CWM2 metadata registered against them.

It's true that the OLAP API requires multidimensional metadata, but the CWMLITE metadata that is created for relational olap cubes is also sufficient, as explained above. So you don't need a MOLAP cube (i.e. an analytic workspace) to use the OLAP API.

The reason you see two cubes, is you're seeing the original ROLAP cube (the source for your analytic workspace) and the relational views over the subsequent analytic workspace. The ROLAP cube appears in the OLAP Catalog because it's CWMLITE metadata had to be created in order for the Analytic Workspace Manager, or the OLAP Bridge in OWB, to create the analytic workspace.

Once you've created the analytic workspace, in theory you could delete the ROLAP cube, and it's CWMLITE metadata. However, the refresh mechanism in the Analytic Workspace Manager relies on the relational cube being present, to provide a source for the data refresh, so if you're going to use the AWM to maintain the cube (bring through revised cube definitions from OEM or OWB, or refresh the AW cube from relational tables) you'll need to keep the ROLAP cube there. Otherwise, you can delete it.

Hope this helps...I'vent written this.Yet i got from someone ...If it helps keep it else ignore it

Regards
Ven (Venkat)
Previous Topic: need help
Next Topic: Updateable Snapshots / Materialized views
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:00:53 CDT 2024