Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » what should be in cold backup
what should be in cold backup [message #112169] Wed, 23 March 2005 07:40 Go to next message
sunil_v_mishra
hi,

I am new to one company and they want that i should create a backup strategies for them ... as database is running 24x7 ... they dont have any backup .... and they even dont have test server .... so they told me to take cold backup.... now my question is .....

what i should take in my cold backup?

Please note:- database is shutdown when i will take backup
so please give me the list of content that i have to take in my backup.... Embarassed ...

thank you
regards sunil
Re: what should be in cold backup [message #112199 is a reply to message #112169] Wed, 23 March 2005 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
See http://www.orafaq.com/faq/RDBMS_Server/Backup_Recovery/User_Managed/faq36.htm

Best regards.

Frank
icon7.gif  Re: what should be in cold backup [message #112320 is a reply to message #112199] Thu, 24 March 2005 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunil_v_mishra
hi ,

Thanku very much frank .... actully i was not having full confidence so i asked above question.. but after reading the link that you sended me i think ... what i was doing was correct ...

thank you so much frank

from sunil
Re: what should be in cold backup [message #112791 is a reply to message #112169] Tue, 29 March 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kumar_dba

hi sunil
as u know that COLD backup is set of all datafiles,logfile and control files
and is recomended to take backup of ur init.ora and password filr too
write a script like
:::::::::::::::::::::::::

sql>aa.sql
select name from sys.v_$datafile
union
select member from sys.v_$logfile
union
select name from sys.v_$controlfile;
sql>save aa.sql
sql>shutdown
sql>run aa.sql
thats alllllllllll
manually take backup of ur init.ora and password file
Re: what should be in cold backup [message #112936 is a reply to message #112791] Wed, 30 March 2005 00:25 Go to previous message
sunil_v_mishra
hi,

Thanks kumar, but i want to inform u that ... once your database is shutdown u cannot run query on SQL prompt ... you can see the steps that you had sended me after shutdown ... you had doen run aa.sql on sql prompt ... i hope it wont work...b'coz when database is shutdown there is no SGA ...then how u can run query aa.sql...

regard
sunil
Previous Topic: RMAN Recovery Testing, Advice on Strategy
Next Topic: Recovery Catalog
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:33:36 CDT 2024