Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » when to delete archive log file
when to delete archive log file [message #118064] Mon, 02 May 2005 21:18 Go to next message
sunil_v_mishra
hi

I want to know when should i delete my archive log file . i know most of will answer that delete archive log when the 90% space allocated to archive file is filled up and so on.
But i want to know that what if i delete the archive file after taking my hotback...
note during hotback more archive file is generated so i want to know is the change that are made in database will be there in redologfile that is been copied during hotback. so that after taking my hotback can i delete my archive file.

Please let me know when should delete my archive log file?

Re: when to delete archive log file [message #118073 is a reply to message #118064] Mon, 02 May 2005 23:24 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> i know most of will answer that delete archive log when the 90% space allocated to archive file is filled up and so on
That answer would be a twaddle.

Ideally speaking , archived logs should be deleted only after a hotbackup.

>>note during hotback more archive file is generated

Nothing MORE is specifically generated during backup.
the archive info is generated as usual.

>>so i want to know is the change that are made in database will be there in redologfile that is been copied during hotback. so that after taking my hotback can i delete my archive file.

For that very same reason, you need to archive the logfiles before starting the backup. RMAN does that internally for you.
RMAN backs up the archived logs as of THAT point.
Previous Topic: Database not opening.
Next Topic: applying RMAN hot backups on cold backup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:51:17 CDT 2024