Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » recovering tablespace files
recovering tablespace files [message #120620] Fri, 20 May 2005 19:02 Go to next message
mjackson
I have a tablespace datafile from a system which is totally hosed (the tablespace seems ok). Is there any way that I can import it into another oracle instance running on the same type of hardware and operating system?

I've attempted to create another tablespace on the "new" oracle instance with the same name and then overlaying the "new" tablespace datafile with the one from the bad system. However oracle gives me an error saying that the tablespace was created for another oracle instance, so it doesn't seem like that'll work.

[Updated on: Fri, 20 May 2005 19:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: recovering tablespace files [message #120633 is a reply to message #120620] Sat, 21 May 2005 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi,

You need to use Oracle's Transportable Tablespace feature.

Example - http://www.orafaq.com/scripts/back_rec/ttstest.txt
More info - see the Oracle Utilities Users Guide.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: recovering tablespace files [message #120785 is a reply to message #120620] Mon, 23 May 2005 14:18 Go to previous message
dilip kumar
Hi,

Tell me, the datafile which you have lost belongs to system tablespace....if it's belongs to system tablespace then it cannot be used for new instance..b.cos in the new instance you will have it's own system tablespace,so when you try to plug in the tablespace which is having a same name then it will hit the error and also tell me whether your database is running in archive log mode or not...if it is running in archive log mode do u have all the archive files since from that corrupted file is created,if you have that then you can recover the datafile...

Regards

Dilip
Previous Topic: RMAN Fails to backup control file
Next Topic: RESTORE DATABASE FROM DEAD BACKUP -RMAN
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 17:35:42 CDT 2024