Home » RDBMS Server » Security » remote db connectvity
remote db connectvity [message #137048] Tue, 13 September 2005 00:08 Go to next message
balasmg
Hi DBA’s

I want to connect remote machine th’ oracle enterprise manager. (OEM) or sql *plus
While I connect with scott/tiger I am able to connect. Via sql*plus
But when I connect as sys, I am getting an error as
ERROR:
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

Warning: You are no longer connected to ORACLE.

I was able to connect

What may be the reason. Is there any init parameter need to be set.
Re: remote db connectvity [message #137049 is a reply to message #137048] Tue, 13 September 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

1. How u r trying to connect to the remote machine? Are u using Oracle Net service to connect?

--- If u r able to connect through scott then sys should not be a problem. Do u have any other oracle database running on your remote machine ( through which u r trying to connect) ?

Its better if u post the entire scenario. With your OS ( both - client & server) & Oracle version.

regards,
tarun

[Updated on: Tue, 13 September 2005 00:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: remote db connectvity [message #137058 is a reply to message #137049] Tue, 13 September 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
balasmg
using net8 configuration assistant, i created and i am able to connect to remote database using the connect string.
i am not able to connect as sys user in remote database.
is that any init. parameter need to be set
Re: remote db connectvity [message #137065 is a reply to message #137058] Tue, 13 September 2005 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

1. Check whether a password file exist on the server. If it is not there then create a password file using ORAPWD utility .

2. Check the paramter in init file,

REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE and set it to EXCLUSIVE .

regards,
tarun

Re: remote db connectvity [message #137077 is a reply to message #137048] Tue, 13 September 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
balasmg
Hi Tarun,
tks for response.
presently remote_login_passwordfile = none.

how to create a password file in oracle 9i/solaris box and how to set the same.

what it really does. why it has no issue for scott user connecion and gives error on sys user.

regards
-bala
Re: remote db connectvity [message #137081 is a reply to message #137077] Tue, 13 September 2005 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua
yes, this is the problem .

creating a password file ( if it does not exist) & setting this parameter to EXCLUSIVE should solve the problem.

>> how to create a password file in oracle 9i/solaris

Sol: Method is same for all OSs & it is given in the attached file.

>> how to set the same?

Sol: Open pfile & change

REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE=EXCLUSIVE

& then start the database with this pfile .

>> what it really does. why it has no issue for scott user connecion and gives error on sys user?

Sol: This parameter is meant for remote administration so no issue for scott( not a sysdba).

I hav attached a portion of Oracle documentation regarding password file, rest u can read from documentation.

regards,
tarun

Re: remote db connectvity [message #151546 is a reply to message #137081] Thu, 15 December 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sree38
how could we retrieve the password for sys/system not the default ones??
Re: remote db connectvity [message #151628 is a reply to message #151546] Thu, 15 December 2005 22:46 Go to previous message
tarundua

I didnt understand your question , can you explain more?

And you cant retrieve the password for "sys" but yes you can change if you are a DBA. Wink
Previous Topic: unable to use connect-time and idle_time
Next Topic: Password and Login feature
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:52:26 CDT 2024