Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » recover a table from an rman backup
recover a table from an rman backup [message #143936] Mon, 24 October 2005 05:22 Go to next message
alanm

Hi All,
is it possible to recover an individual table from an rman backup? what command would be used.

best regards

Alan.
Re: recover a table from an rman backup [message #143940 is a reply to message #143936] Mon, 24 October 2005 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

Incomplete recovery is there but i suppose, recovering a single table is not possible .

Note: if you are using 10g then you can recover a table from recyclebin of your tablespace.

Re: recover a table from an rman backup [message #143954 is a reply to message #143940] Mon, 24 October 2005 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
No direct methods available.
You can recover /duplcate the database to anther database.
Export the concerned table from the restored/duplicated database to the database you want.
Re: recover a table from an rman backup [message #144059 is a reply to message #143936] Mon, 24 October 2005 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vamshee
Hi Alan

If this is happened in 9i, The only way to restore your table is to restore your database from a backup and to recover to a point in time just before you dropped the table. However, you will lose all information since that time.

Oracle 10g makes life easier with the ability to recover a dropped table similar to recovering a file from a Windows Recycle Bin.
And in case if this on 10g,
Eg: You dropped the DEPT table, which belongs to the USER_DATA tablespace
You can use the following command to recover a dropped table:

FLASHBACK TABLE <table_name> TO BEFORE DROP;

Alternatively, you can use Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g to recover a dropped table. You can query the USER_RECYCLEBIN or DBA_RECYCLEBIN view to identify the objects that have been dropped by you or all users.

You can use the SHOW RECYCLEBIN command to view the objects that can be undropped.

Note:
1)You can flash back a dropped table, provided the table is stored in a locally managed non-SYSTEM tablespace.

2)If another table with the same original name exists in your schema, you must use the RENAME TO clause with the FLASHBACK TABLE command while restoring a dropped table.

Hope this helps

Regards
Vamshee
Re: recover a table from an rman backup [message #144119 is a reply to message #144059] Tue, 25 October 2005 02:37 Go to previous message
girish.rohini
@Vamshee
You said:
If this is happened in 9i, The only way to restore your table is to restore your database from a backup and to recover to a point in time just before you dropped the table. However, you will lose all information since that time.

I am sorry, but its not the only way. What Mahesh pointed out is another & more suitable way.

@Alan

If its 9i, restore backup of database to new database & recover upto a point before you dropped the table. Take an export then & import that into your current database.

--Girish

Previous Topic: Import Problem - Oracle 9.2.0.6.0 on Solaris 5.8
Next Topic: RMAN incremental
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:49:20 CDT 2024