Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » database recovery
database recovery [message #16996] Mon, 20 December 2004 20:59 Go to next message
ujwala
Hello friends,

Can anybody help me???

i have a serious problem with my oracle8i database.

Our nt4 server software crashed on the harddisk and all the data is still there on the harddisk. We have installed a new harddisk having windows 2000 server.

We were having old database(e.g. data) on our NT4 and i have that database on our new server but it is not working properly.

temporarily we have installed oracle and created a new database(e.g. data_new) on new harddisk and our users using this database. but i have to restore old data also. I have created a new database with the same name (e.g. data)  and i don't know how to restore the data. i don't have it's backup without that oracle folder which is in the old harddisk.

Can u just help me out how to recover data(e.g. database with datafiles and tablespaces and user which i have created previously) from Nt4 to window2000.

some people told me to restore control files and parameter files to restore the data. but i don't know i have to overwrite on the same files which are present in the new database(e.g. data) folder. what are the command i have to give?

please send me those commands with the examples if u can??

because i serached for this problem on the sites but there is no specification about a perticular database? they said use svrmgrl but for specific database i can't close my oracle.

thanks in advance,

Ujwala
Re: database recovery [message #17010 is a reply to message #16996] Tue, 21 December 2004 08:36 Go to previous message
Edward Stoever
Step One: Assuming you can view all the files of your old database on the hard disk that crashed.... make a copy of them as they are, and put those copies in a directory where they won't be bothered, preferably on a seperate physical disk from the one or ones where you plan to restore the database and have it running. This is necessary so you can step back to the beginning if you find it necessary. (ALL FILES! database files, control files, parameter file, password file, redo logs, archived redo logs)

Step Two: Turn the blank database you created into the old database you had. To do this, first you have to shutdown that new database, then delete all of its files. In windows, this should work well, because all the registry settings that were created when you built that new database are still there. Now, copy the files of your old database from the backup into the proper locations.

Step Three: Startup. Ok... this is a simplistic view of doing things. There may be some work to do, you probably cannot just issue the startup command. You need to understand the purpose of the pfile and how to starup the instance with JUST the pfile (startup no mount pfile='c:file_pathinit.ora'), then how to mount the database by accessing the control files (alter database mount) and finally to open (alter database open). There may also be some recovery needed, and possibly some altering of where the datafiles are (alter database rename datafile 'c:oldpathfile.dbs' to 'c:newpathfile.dbs'). I would recommend you get a book on backup and recovery because there are a number of steps that could be necessary depending on what you have to work with and how things progress. Studying cloning should also help you. Check out this link: http://tinyurl.com/4p7p4

Edward -- www.database-expert.com
Previous Topic: RMAN error in date while coling new database.
Next Topic: sp2-0640 error while doing coldbackup in crontab.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 06:07:49 CDT 2024