Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » backups
backups [message #1581] Tue, 14 May 2002 21:20 Go to next message
por
Can someone tell me what is the difference between using exp/imp for backup and hot backup with copying the DB files until the database is in archivelog mode or RMAN.
Re: backups [message #1596 is a reply to message #1581] Wed, 15 May 2002 08:45 Go to previous message
Grant
Export/import is a backup but only for that point in time. The DB is online.

Hot backups is when the DB is online.

You can use RMAN for hot backups. RMAN hot backups require archive log to be on and do not require you to take the tablespace offline for backup.

If you go with OS copy of data files you can leave the database up (hot) but you need to set the tablespace in backup mode to copy the data files.

I use both export and RMAN. The reason is users will always do stupy things and I will have a backup that I can use to recover a table or schema quickly. I do not use RMAN for development or test databases just production. I do exports for all DB's depending on the need/requirement. For example I do RMAN backups every four hours for production directly to tape. I do exports twice a day (lunch and after hours) for fast recovery to disk for all DB's. I use unix so I can compress the files and also have automated jobs to delete exports two days old.

You should read the Backup and Recovery Guide to get a handle on all your options. You are the one that determines how often to backup because it is your butt on the line. You want to be able to recover as fast as possible in any situation.
Previous Topic: Rman cant login Recovery Catalog
Next Topic: Rman- Restore to a different host
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:48:04 CDT 2024