Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Backup Problem
Backup Problem [message #178860] Fri, 23 June 2006 03:28 Go to next message
Aldous Jose A. Castro
Hello. I inherited an Oracle Database but have no idea what Backup method was used. Is there a way to determine if the Backups were made using RMAN or any other method?

How do I restore a Backup if I don't know how it was made?

Any assistance appreciated.
Re: Backup Problem [message #179732 is a reply to message #178860] Wed, 28 June 2006 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
croK
Hello.

There are 2 diff ways to backup databases using RMAN.
1. using rman catalog (that is, another oracle satabase is used
as RMAN repository)
2. using source database controlfile to connect to. No secondary
database is used as repository, source database controlfile
is used instead.

If you inheritate only just one database, I assume that there is no RMAN CATALOG database becasuse...you are supposed to inherit the additional database..

So, you can try to connect to source database catalog to see if backups are being made thru rman.
1.You need to start your rman command prompt
2. connect user/pwd@aliasdb
above user must be created con source database, I believe that user must has been granted sysdba privilege, you can check that on your database
3. if you can connect using rman, you can check if backups are being made by running "list backup" command...or check your user guide to see exact sintaxis.

Anyway, there are others procedures to backup oracle datbases.
Full export...
cold database backup by copying all datafiles to tape or networked disk when your database is down...
hot backup by copying all files while your database is up and running...

Well, hope this helps.
Regards.
Re: Backup Problem [message #180031 is a reply to message #179732] Thu, 29 June 2006 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aldous Jose A. Castro
So I just need to type rman at the dos prompt to start the rman command prompt and I am good to go?

Thanks.
Re: Backup Problem [message #180147 is a reply to message #180031] Fri, 30 June 2006 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
croK
sure, just type rman at dos command prompt.
if you are able to run other oracle tools such as 'sqlplus' or 'sqlldr' or 'imp', then, you should be able to run 'rman'.

i'll be out of the city starting in an hour...i won't be able to assist you for a while, best luck.
Re: Backup Problem [message #180232 is a reply to message #178860] Sat, 01 July 2006 01:29 Go to previous message
Aldous Jose A. Castro
I am very grateful.
Previous Topic: Unable to perform the backup because the database is closed.
Next Topic: Can I Clone/duplicate a DB when is running?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 18:26:56 CDT 2024