Home » Other » General » Tools for working with Oracle?
Tools for working with Oracle? [message #192139] Mon, 11 September 2006 03:26 Go to next message
sojo
Hi all,

new both to this forum, and also as a Oracle DBA, so please have patience with my silly questions... Embarassed

Ok, so I will attend a few admin courses in the near future, but until then my assignment is to evaluate some tools that can be used together with Oracle, to maximize the throughput of both developing and administration... the team consists of approx 5-10 java developers (which is also where I used to work), and me as the DBA... then there are other groups such as system administrators etc etc...

And now for the real question:
-which tools could you recommend, and for which purposes? Both for the developers and their work, and for me, as DBA... any pros and cons of any products are also greatly appreciated...

Also, if you think this question should be posted in another forum for a better response, please let me know the correct one...

Thanks for now.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 September 2006 03:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Tools for working with Oracle? [message #192152 is a reply to message #192139] Mon, 11 September 2006 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Welcome to the other side Wink

You posted in the right forum, problem is that the answer to this question is a matter of personal taste and getting used to one or another tool (just like in any development environment).
For developers there are a few 'big ones':
pl/sql developer by Allround automation
TOAD by Quest
and
SQL Developer by Oracle Corporation

The first two are quite pricey, but worth it if you are going to do intensive development; SQL developer is free, but has less functionality.
TOAD and PL/SQL developer are equally good; like I said, just a matter of taste.

[Edit: Oops, forgot the single most important one that ANYONE should master: sqlplus]

[Updated on: Mon, 11 September 2006 05:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Tools for working with Oracle? [message #192186 is a reply to message #192152] Mon, 11 September 2006 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orafaqer
Frank wrote on Mon, 11 September 2006 13:59

... SQL developer is free, but has less functionality.

Oh. How about this?

Frank wrote on Mon, 11 September 2006 13:59

[Edit: Oops, forgot the single most important one that ANYONE should master: sqlplus]

With Colorer.
Re: Tools for working with Oracle? [message #192200 is a reply to message #192186] Mon, 11 September 2006 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Debuggers are for whimps. Real men don't need debuggers Wink
Seriously: I think you cannot argue the fact that SQL Developer (in general) offers less functionality than the other two..
Re: Tools for working with Oracle? [message #192219 is a reply to message #192200] Mon, 11 September 2006 07:58 Go to previous message
orafaqer
Frank wrote on Mon, 11 September 2006 16:32

Debuggers are for whimps. Real men don't need debuggers Wink
Seriously: I think you cannot argue the fact that SQL Developer (in general) offers less functionality than the other two..

Yes, sure Smile It was just an example of unique facility.
Previous Topic: database indipendent queries
Next Topic: Documention - help!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 12:32:41 CDT 2024