Home » RDBMS Server » Security » Database encryption
Database encryption [message #202177] Wed, 08 November 2006 09:33 Go to next message
revo1059
We have clients that are using oracle standard edition one for their businesses. We want to be able to encrypt the databases but TDE is available only in enterprise edition (which is VERY cost prohibitive). Is there another solution? I looked at the crypto package, but you can't encrypt alot of table types with it (several of which we use). I'd like something similar to TDE, just without the $20k pricetag.
Re: Database encryption [message #205611 is a reply to message #202177] Sun, 26 November 2006 15:29 Go to previous message
oranje66
I use TDE too. But there are some severe backdraws. You might loose database functionallity (Referentiel Integrity and the efficient index scan like 'range%'). If not, then TDE is a nice option but with indeed a big pricetag. Not only for the TDE option but also for the additional cost of infastructure to saveguard the encryption keys.

An possible option might be encrypted filesystems. If that offers sufficient security in your case. If your client requires PCI DSS security than you have to adapt the application otherwise.

At my location we use TDE and "adapted applications (data is encrypted by the application)" both.

TDE is better in total cost of owner-ship. The number of adaptions in the application is very high compared to the database. Furthermore, take into account that any like 'range%' operation is lost when you use application-encryption.
Previous Topic: track user's select statements
Next Topic: Insufficient Privileges
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:26:23 CDT 2024