Home » Other » General » which is good OS for oracle
which is good OS for oracle [message #256604] Mon, 06 August 2007 01:57 Go to next message
anamika_025
hello,

I want to know that which OS is good for Oracle.

Thanks and Regards
Anamika
Re: which is good OS for oracle [message #256632 is a reply to message #256604] Mon, 06 August 2007 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
What do you have in mind?

For a single user (the one who wants to see how Oracle looks like), XE installed on PC under MS Windows works quite well. I believe Linux is also a good choice.

If you are talking about hundreds or thousands of users, UNIX might be a better choice. VMS behaves fine as well, but I'm afraid not many people/companies use it these days.

So, could you explain background of the question in order to get a better answer?
Re: which is good OS for oracle [message #256637 is a reply to message #256632] Mon, 06 August 2007 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anamika_025
actually right now i m working on oracle 10g and os is window xp professional...

i want to know that which is better OS..after 1 year if i will change my job then some extra knowledge which one better for me

sorry for my bad engish
Re: which is good OS for oracle [message #256652 is a reply to message #256637] Mon, 06 August 2007 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Well, Oracle works the same on any operating system - meaning that SELECT statements is the same, CREATE TABLE as well, stored procedures look the same, etc. - no difference at all. When interacting with operating system (for example, using SQL*Loader), you are supposed to know something about operating system you use (for example, how to change working directory, copy files etc.).

If you are a developer and use SQL*Plus and Developer Suite, you won't see a difference at all (OK, you *might* need OS now and then, but it shouldn't be too difficult).

If you are a DBA, I guess you'll need to know more about operating system (how to create users and directories or grant privileges on both OS and database level, create and maintain database - backups and similar things, ...).

But I still wouldn't know to answer which OS is better.
Re: which is good OS for oracle [message #285507 is a reply to message #256604] Tue, 04 December 2007 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trantuananh24hg
For me, privately, Unix is the best choice if asked you about OS, what's the reason, it's simple, it's too different to Windows!
Re: which is good OS for oracle [message #287220 is a reply to message #256637] Tue, 11 December 2007 08:13 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>i want to know that which is better OS
If OS-ABC is better than OS-XYZ, wouldn't it be logical that Oracle will support only OS-ABC?
As Littlefoot kindly pointed already, Oracle works ***almost*** the same in all OS(some background thingies may differ). The preference in OS depends on $$$, Enterprise Architecture and ofcourse, pride and prejudice.
I love black screens, hate GUI, like open source tools, do a lot of scripting / very less programming and prefer *nix.
Previous Topic: oracle 9i features
Next Topic: production support details
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 03:40:20 CDT 2024