Home » Server Options » Text & interMedia » Disable indexing for specific records
Disable indexing for specific records [message #270236] Wed, 26 September 2007 04:26 Go to next message
jortizclaver
Hi,

Right now I have a table with a BLOB field indexed in interMedia that contains MS Office documents. Everything is working properly and it seems like contextual search is going fine.

Problem came up when I got a new requirement that implies storing in the same table a huge amount of PDF documents. The expected volume of data would mean to double the actual size of the table.

Our main concern is performance of the search. We don't really need to search on these PDF documents, but we need to keep search able for Office documents.

1. Is there anyway I can filter the records to be "included" in the interMedia index?

2. In case I can't, how can big documents affect to the performance? Some of the PDF documents can reach 100 Mb.

Any idea/suggestion/comment would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jorge Ortiz
Re: Disable indexing for specific records [message #270717 is a reply to message #270236] Thu, 27 September 2007 18:16 Go to previous message
Barbara Boehmer
1. Yes, by creating a format column, populating it with "IGNORE" for the rows that you do not want indexed, and specifying that format column in your index creation, as explained and demonstrated in the following section of the online documentation:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/text.102/b14218/cdatadic.htm#sthref458

Previous Topic: Stem operator ($) problem
Next Topic: Updating index information without recreating the index AND Problem executing ctx procedures (merged
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:35:40 CDT 2024