Home » Other » General » To be a Oracle Apps DBA is it mandatory one should be core DBA professional
icon7.gif  To be a Oracle Apps DBA is it mandatory one should be core DBA professional [message #279878] Sun, 11 November 2007 06:55 Go to next message
srh.abap

To be a Oracle Apps DBA is it mandatory one should be core DBA professional[ 12 votes ]
1. yes you need to be core DBA professional 7 / 58%
2. No, you need not be Core DBA professional 3 / 25%
3. you should know some of the core DBA concepts like Backup and Recovery 1 / 8%
4. I will find out and let you know 1 / 8%

Hi to all,
Guys i have a question here,

To be successful Oracle Apps DBA professional is it mandatory to know all the Concepts of Oracle Core DBA? Explain in detail

Look forward to your detail reply

thanks and regards
srh
Re: To be a Oracle Apps DBA is it mandatory one should be core DBA professional [message #279889 is a reply to message #279878] Sun, 11 November 2007 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:

Explain in detail

Is this a poll or a question?

Regards
Michel
Re: To be a Oracle Apps DBA is it mandatory one should be core DBA professional [message #279890 is a reply to message #279889] Sun, 11 November 2007 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
srh.abap
Hi Michel

Basically this is a question.
can you answer my question please

thanks and regards
srh
Re: To be a Oracle Apps DBA is it mandatory one should be core DBA professional [message #279902 is a reply to message #279890] Sun, 11 November 2007 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I don't know Oracle Apps.

Regards
Michel
Re: To be a Oracle Apps DBA is it mandatory one should be core DBA professional [message #280080 is a reply to message #279878] Mon, 12 November 2007 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MarcL
All depends on what the company hiring is looking for.
Re: To be a Oracle Apps DBA is it mandatory one should be core DBA professional [message #280134 is a reply to message #279878] Mon, 12 November 2007 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
varu123
What is the difference between apps dba and core dba?
A core dba is a systems dba and what is apps dba?

[Updated on: Mon, 12 November 2007 10:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: To be a Oracle Apps DBA is it mandatory one should be core DBA professional [message #280141 is a reply to message #280134] Mon, 12 November 2007 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
See "Apps Server & Colab Suite" forum.

Regards
Michel
Re: To be a Oracle Apps DBA is it mandatory one should be core DBA professional [message #280518 is a reply to message #280141] Tue, 13 November 2007 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
For me, there is an 'Oracle Applications DBA' and then the more general 'Applications DBA'. The first deals almost exclusively with the Oracle product that is often called 'Oracle Applications' and the latter deals with the custom designed and built Oracle database objects associated with a custom application. I do the latter, but not the prior. I don't HAVE to know about database creation, backups and restores, although I have done it. What I DO need to know is the designing and creation of tables, their indexes and triggers, plus packages (plus procedures and functions).

David
Re: To be a Oracle Apps DBA is it mandatory one should be core DBA professional [message #283844 is a reply to message #279878] Wed, 28 November 2007 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soujanya_srk
Quote:

I don't HAVE to know about database creation, backups and restores, although I have done it. What I DO need to know is the designing and creation of tables, their indexes and triggers, plus packages (plus procedures and functions).

meaning u need to know designing and creation of tables etc
for the role of core dba ( applications dba)....and dont have
to know database creation, backups..those are for the
'Oracle Applications DBA' ..is that true?

your statement is a bit confusing Razz

[Updated on: Wed, 28 November 2007 05:42] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: To be a Oracle Apps DBA is it mandatory one should be core DBA professional [message #295543 is a reply to message #279878] Tue, 22 January 2008 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
karthik47s
Is this poll or a question .. well if it's a poll i would say yes youneed to know the core concepts of DBA
Re: To be a Oracle Apps DBA is it mandatory one should be core DBA professional [message #295592 is a reply to message #295543] Tue, 22 January 2008 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
No, in most organisations, I don't need to know how to do data-space creation, user registration, backups, restores, etc. Sometimes I don't even know the name of the machine, just the SQL*Net name. In some organisations I am not even 'cleared' to know where they are located so I certainly couldn't add disk drives or change backup tapes.

That said, when it comes to the table design and procedure/package naming and contents, I am 'god'. The one time the 'core DBA' modified one of the table structures we settled it in the car-park. He does his tasks and I do mine.

You me, that is the difference between the two types of DBA. We each have our area of expertise and we make requests of the other when we think something needs modifying in their 'space'.

Think of it this way. The core DBA has to maintain 2, 3, or more environments (development, test, production, etc - maybe pre-production, maybe fall-back). He communicates with the hardware supplier and the finance people concerning hardware and communication costs. I look after a single design which it replicated on multiple machines. I communicate with the users and the finance people for development and testing costs.

He has to design a configuration for the number of people that will use the system. I only have to worry about that many people accessing the DATA quickly. The response time on the network is his problem. The response time on the database is mine. If I need more memory then we discuss it, I don't just change the configuration parameters and restart the instance.

David
Re: To be a Oracle Apps DBA is it mandatory one should be core DBA professional [message #296985 is a reply to message #279878] Tue, 29 January 2008 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Have a look at http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/oracle/guide/archives/the-weekend-of-ora01122-5282

David
Re: To be a Oracle Apps DBA is it mandatory one should be core DBA professional [message #334940 is a reply to message #295543] Fri, 18 July 2008 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gaperumal

Yes. I agreed. Application DBA should aware. But again, it depends on company.

Arangaperumal G
Chennai,India
Re: To be a Oracle Apps DBA is it mandatory one should be core DBA professional [message #335050 is a reply to message #334940] Sun, 20 July 2008 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

But According to me it is mandatory.
becuase Core DBA is responsible for handle Oracle Database.
and Oracle Apps DBA is responsible for handle Oracle Database with Oracle Application.

Let check with Oracle Certification.
If we are suppose to going for oracle apps certification, for that we need to clear three exams.
1. Oracle Application I
2. Oracle Application II
3. Oracle Application Patch,Maintanance

NOW suppose if we are already Oracle 9i,10g certified in DBA then we no need to take first two paper that is <point-I, point-II>, becuase oracle 9i,10g certification (OCP) cover first two oracle application paper.

It is a famous question over forums,
what is difference between Oracle application DBA and Oracle DBA.

So Answer is:
There is NO DIFFERENCE both are same.

The difference is as a Apps DBA we have same more responsibilites additional Core DBA.
Like 1. Cloning, 2. Patching 3. Application Maintanance (Apps Schema).

So Don't be confuse between Oracle Apps DBA or Core DBA.

Re: To be a Oracle Apps DBA is it mandatory one should be core DBA professional [message #565060 is a reply to message #335050] Thu, 30 August 2012 04:54 Go to previous message
Tomokofreer
A core dba is a systems dba and what is apps dba?
Previous Topic: logging
Next Topic: Oracle Database linking to Visio 2003
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:38:00 CDT 2024