Home » Other » General » Materialized Views (ENTERPRISE EDITION 9I AND 10G)
Materialized Views [message #284076] Wed, 28 November 2007 15:15 Go to next message
mfreeze
I am having a problem with materialized views and am wondering if any of you have faced this issue. I am trying to sync two of our environments using Toad which creates a sync script. I then have to run that script in the editor as SYS. The script contains materialized views which are to be created using a dblink from a 10g database into the 9i database. Everytime I run this I get a ORA-04063 ERROR saying the tables have errors. This doesn't happen if I connect to another 9i database to create the materialized views. Is this an issue because of going from 10g to 9i? Does oracle have issues going backwards? We just started to upgrade our environments to 10g so I am guessing that if I upgrade this 9i database first before trying to sync the environments the issue may not occur. Any thoughts? Thanks
Re: Materialized Views [message #284127 is a reply to message #284076] Thu, 29 November 2007 00:03 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
1/ You post in the wrong forum. There is a Replication one don't you see it before raising General?

2/
Quote:

using Toad which creates a sync script.

Error! Who knows what the script is generated? Who knows if it is correct in your environement? "Those who live by the GUI, die by the GUI."

3/
Quote:

I then have to run that script in the editor as SYS.

Error!
- Never ever use sys but for maintenance purpose (startup, shutdown, backup, recover)
- sys is special
- sys is Oracle proprietary (try to open a SR/TAR starting with "i did that with sys" and you'll see the immediate answer)
- sys does not act like any other user
- When you use sys Oracle deactivates some code path and activates others
- Whatever you do with sys will neither validate nor invalidate the same thing with any other user.

NEVER EVER use sys for anything that can be done by another user.
Use sys ONLY for something that can't be done by someone else.

4/ Not enough data on what you did to answer the rest of your post. Copy and paste the script and its execution.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Oracle Linux/Virtualization Software
Next Topic: Need Component information
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 19:59:35 CDT 2024