Home » Fusion Middleware & Colab Suite » Weblogic & Application Server » Client/Server vs. Application Server (OraDB 10gR2, Windows 2003)
Client/Server vs. Application Server [message #284130] Thu, 29 November 2007 00:07
nishith_india
Our company has around 30 sites with each one having its own Oracle database server and file server (repository for executables of Forms6i/Reports6i). All the sites have the same applications running, i.e., the same set of programs are replicated to each site. At present we are running the applications in client/server mode (Forms6i/Reports6i runtime is installed on each client machine).

We are also using some third party modules developed in VB/VC++.

Now we are looking for the Centralized Solution, i.e., We want to have a Single Database Server available to all the sites all the sites are already linked with Network Leased lines).

Now we want to know the impact of running centralized file server (located at Corporate Office site) accessible from all the sites (through same client/server mode).

Will this solution work for us or we should move to 3-tier mode? Please suggest us the best feasible solution which can be implemented as early as possible.

What I mean to ask in the question above is: if a good intranet connectivity is available among sites, what would be the better approach, Client/Server or N-Tier?

What actually would we gain by using application server in this context? Does the Data travelling is reduced from Database Server through to the Client Node in 3-tier AS approach? Does this 3-tier approach will reduce the Burden on Leased Lines? Does we gain more network resources available in 3-tier?

What I think is that in client/server mode, the data is travelled from Database Server to Client Machine, but using Application Server, the Data from Database Server will travel upto Application Server and NOT to the Cleint machine (on browser etc.), hence reducing Network Load.

Please clarify as your input makes a valuable role in our decision-making.
Previous Topic: Disabling ports 389, 686 of Solaris
Next Topic: Port Number Problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:34:38 CDT 2024